Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Who jumped the gun on SOL?

Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
....and went long at R307 after Standard Bank issued their bullish Alert (citing a CLOSE above R305)?
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Not applicable
the alert did say close above 304.00 however i am not bullish on sol yet, waiting for opec
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Oil jumped by a huge amount or so today, so if you're still in, you might reap the rewards tomorrow, if nothing untoward happens overnight.
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
momentum if you wait for opec you would have missed the main upswing by 25%..The idea is to forsee the future changes in circumstance and put your head on the block...........In the words of Dell Boy...he who dares wins.............
0 Kudos
Not applicable
i disagree with you, i've been trading for the past 30 years and only burnt my fingers once by not trusting my technical analysis, and my technical analysis and so SBK shows that it is not yet the right time to buy SOL, nobody here knows what opec will decide next week, may be they increase and then what, look what tito did today most banks discounted no rate cut, and then the baby fell out the bed, luckily the market closed an hour later or the losses would have been more. as technical analysis it is not my job to predict the bottom or the top but to find a good and safe entry point and profitable exit point
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Dont understand your comments about banks?? If they had priced in no cut and there was a cut this is a good thing?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Momentum whats ur analysis on MTN?? and ACL???
0 Kudos
Not applicable
newbee it is impossible to analyse every share you'll need a team of 200, so sorry i only look at shares that come up on the radar as a good buy currently mtn and acl is not a good buy
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Momentum, if you only watch shares that come up on the radar as a good buy, how do you decide what would be a good buy, especially if you're not watching them until they become a good buy?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Zephyr, well don't try and watch the whole market. Pick a handful of stocks - and just trade those.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
on your TA programme you can run flags / alerts that will come up when a share reaches a set parameter
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi Momentum, I am very interested to learn about your trading principles regarding SOL? What are the key signals for you personally on this one? (I think it is important to value other people's strategies - in order to benchmark my own)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
read the SBK market study on SOL it is very well done
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Momentum pls can you expalin your comments about the banks?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
my view has no value, i viewed that tito will not cut rates i was wrong, but that is because it cannot be measured and calculated, if you do not own a good TA programme purchase one, if you do not have the money on this platform SBK offers a chart section that has the five most important tools you need to do TA, if you do, learn how to use, the most powerful tool in a TA programme is trendlines, and trade within those trendlines, together with the same tools as what SBK offers for free on this platform, i am now in cash, waiting for better buys, i do not have a mandate like most fund managers
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
No i am not worried about the TA i want to understand the principal of no rate cut vs. a rate cut and the effect it should have on banking shares. From what you have posted you view that if no rate cut was priced in and there is a rate cut this is negetive. You need to understand basic fundamentals before TA. I thought it was the other way around? If the consenses was no rate cut (which it was not) and there is a cut - this is a major positive? Anybody else?
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
The market seems have priced in 1% cut (albeit that economists prediced 0.5% cut). A rate cut is good for banks and stocks in general (it means less bad debt pressure from the customers banks lend money to and more growth). Having priced in 1% the Bank shares rallied prior to the announcement. When the announcement of 0.5% came (being lower than what was evidently 'priced' into the interest rate sensitive stocks), they dropped back sharply +-5%.
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Thats what i thought - agree. Maybe i did read the earlier post correctly. TA is useless if you dont understand the basic fundamentals.
0 Kudos