Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Why the hammering of GFI this morning?

Jobarshares
Contributor
I would like to know why GFI went down so much this morning, especially since the results due later this morning are expected to be positive? Is it because of the oversees market mostly being in the red?
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
john_1
Super Contributor
LOL Simon about that course!
0 Kudos
Pam_1
Regular Contributor
Gold Fields Ltd., Africa's second- biggest gold producer, said fiscal fourth-quarter profit dropped 32 percent (Reuters). What did you expect with rather disappointig results?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
john, lol. do you really think there is hope?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
So, reading between the lines, you guys think GFI is a buy?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure brazen, I'll give you a bottle wine (no make that a box wine, larger volume) for your GFI holding ...
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
I have been holding GFI for a logn time, bought many moons ago when it went over R119, as that should have been the indication of a break out upwards... guess what. Luckily I liquidated all my positions in GFI and HAR some weeks ago, when they were higher. I was sad about a R150K loss, but that seems mild to what could have been should I held onto it. Lessons learned over the years is that Au shares cannot make money irrespective of the gold price. So Im never buying these again.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
DR, that is the absolute truth and the comment of the month "Au shares cannot make money irrespective of the gold price". If one is bullih on gold - buy gold, not a proxy gold miner.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You CAN make a lot of money trading GFI and HAR. But not based on the gold price. Work out a bog-standard system with trading channels and indicators and ignore the gold price completely.

GFI and HAR are not investment stocks they are TRADING stocks. Treat them like that.
0 Kudos
Surf_Rat
Super Contributor
Avs You are right on the button here regarding trading stocks but the lead on these prices comes from economic dynamics of some currencies ,oil ,inflation data and gold price like the rally last month if you remember I posted a spring tide at 4 pm their was no choice for it to rally at 4pm it had to go that swell was coming from far away
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
over lay dates for the full moon onto the GFI chart, I kid you not ...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You know I've heard that from three different pple now. The first time I heard it I thought the bloke was joking. Except for the fact that he's an independant forex advisor to Investec London.

But while we're on the subject of the left-off-centre, have a look at this...
http://www.superforce.com/stocks/index.htm
It's the atmospheric ion ratios (influenced by solar activity) overlaid onto the Dow.
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
Simon...I see that sbk is punting GFI @ R137 per share. what time framer u guys looking at...in this life time or the next
0 Kudos