Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Why the sudden rise???

Not applicable
Anyone knows anything we don't know about the company??
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
CE
Super Contributor
It's the biggest company (market cap) on the JSE and it's a BULL market. Also look at BIL, same story.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
AGL up 3.03% and BILL up 3.82%
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
Should be BIL, BILL just work there...
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
Sorry, AGL is biggest then BIL.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
Hey whats a couple of billions difference between friends.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
Geez, I've been all over the place with this post, thanks for listening !
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I think the rise might be attributed to a privte equity review of biliton by Meryl linch Released yesterday saying it is a take over target. Making it a deal 3 times bigger than anything else ever done by private equity players but with a projected return of 30% and if BIL is a Target than RIO and AGL will defnitly be as they are Half BIL size.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
why are they up? - well apart from the charts and if i have to get a bit fundamental.. the base metal miners and resources stock are up globally as a strike in Peru is threatening copper supplies...the resources and metal tend to move in unison hence the pressure on BIL
0 Kudos
GdM
Frequent Contributor
LONDON, May 4 (Reuters) - UK-listed mining shares surged in early trade on Friday, contributing more than 50 percent to the FTSE 100's (.FTSE) rise, after Merrill Lynch said private equity funds may turn their focus on miners. "Private equity action has been very active globally -- with the notable exception of the mining sector," Merrill analysts Vicky Binns and Duncan Hay said in a report. "This could change quickly once the widely held view that leverage buyouts are too risky in a cyclical industry is challenged, and private equity groups take advantage of the arbitrage between current commodity prices and market consensus. Then it could be Game On!" BHP Billiton (BLT.L) rose 3 percent, Rio Tinto (RIO.L) climbed 4 percent, Anglo American (AAL.L) gained 2.1 percent, Vedanta Resources (VED.L) advanced 2.4 percent, and Lonmin (LMI.L) leapt 4.4 percent. At 0817 GMT, the FTSE 100 was up 0.38 percent. The U.S. investment bank said a private equity bid for BHP Billiton, the world's largest miner, could deliver attractive returns, though it did not suggest it was an imminent target. "We are believers in the 'super cycle' and expect commodity prices to stay above historic averages for years to come. Therefore it seems to us inevitable that private equity attentions will turn to the mining sector," Binns and Hay said. They analysed five BHP Billiton leveraged buyout scenarios, including an asset break-up. "The outcome of this asset break-up analysis is that we believe BHP Billiton's assets could be broken up and sold for $201 billion over the next three years, and this generates a 34 percent IRR (internal rate of return) on equity invested." However, they said smaller miners, such as Freeport-McMoran (FCX.N), Newcrest (NCM.AX) and Alumina (AWC.AX), were more realistic targets, while Anglo American and Rio Tinto were also potential candidates.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
because i sold all my BHP Billiton stock yesterday ..
0 Kudos