Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Woolies-Time to enter??

platsak
Super Contributor
Is it time enter long?
0 Kudos
38 REPLIES 38
earlyret
Regular Contributor
you been watching summit??
0 Kudos
Mr_Bean
Frequent Contributor
At this price there is huge value, although it could still drop a bit more. I entered yesterday. Support was at R12.30-R12.40, but I see it went through support, probably only due to the masive purchase that went though at 17H00. If rates stay unchanged, this one is a definate re buy. I went straight from work yesterday and bought 2 roast chickens from Woolies.....go you boy!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Mr Bean be careful with the Zip ,don't catch Mr Willie on the way up LOL
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Would be a screaming buy imo if they could split their clothing and food divisions. I would certainly be interested in buying into the latter. I think one should always be wary however as although Woolies has got great food products we all enjoy, they are catering for a certain niche sector of the market and don't think that Pick n Pay will take all of Woolies success lying down, which may be a better share to own at it's current levels around 3000 to 3200 if you can get them at that price. Pick n Pay isn't as volatile for a longer term investor. WHL is now trading at Sept 2006 levels. Hard to break a trend, but it does look tempting if it turns up.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
Mr B - that huge transaction at exactly 5pm is the closing auction. Happens on every share.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
What was said on Summit last night about WHL?
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
What happened back in 1998 that all retailers and Banks sold off like now?
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Wizard. Do you think its the smart money leaving town before the storm?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
russia defaulted on debt that lead to the emerging market crisis including a melt down of the asian tigers.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
For all it's worth everything goes up. My call is short to medium term up and in the long run down.
0 Kudos
Ega
Super Contributor
Yes, this time round the USA does not want to falter on debt, they just want more debt
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yeah but could still be very choppy waters ahead, either I was dreaming or watching the telly while sleeping but Im sure I heard something about credit card crisis is about to join the elite group of sub-prime crisis??? anyone can confirm this?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
TZ, credit card crisis. Wouldn't this be more expetced and as such better provisioned for? As apposed to bad home loans a surprise due to the low quality of those getting loans (in truth the surprise was that anybody was surprised, but they were)? Also maybe smaller, house way more expensive, albeit a house can be sold to pay for part of the debt. But ceratinly credit cards are a problem, I got family in the US and they get a couple of cards every month int he post, just call a number to activate. When thy went on holidayover christmas they just picjked up one of the envolopes and used that card (they selected the one with the best design - go figure).
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
and the slide continues.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
did you say family, like hillbilly or like a distant uncle you met once when you were 3.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Does Woolies still have a poor reputation with it's Suppliers? Cancelling orders, dropping a Supplier for another etc. I have heard several stories in the past in this regard. Perhaps in their quest to attain the highest standard they have hurt a few people on the way. In our area there is a medium sized Spar that does incredible business and I suppose it also is a case of what is convenient, cheapest and also what is the flavour of the month.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
in my area we have a woolies food, checkers, spar, and the fruit and veg at checkers and spar is just not edible, in fact its disgusting so I am forced to go to woolies and pay a little more for my supermodel fruit and veg... i wonder how many other ares experience this?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
No Woolies in our area. :( Pity as they have some great food products. The only other store around here is a Large Pick n Pay Hypermarket which sucks from all aspects. So the Spar in our area is the best. As far as Pick n Pay is concerned I am disappointed as they should keep a standard through all their stores like Woolies.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, what happens when my woolies installments hit 0?
0 Kudos