Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Woollies: time to sell or buy?

AP
Regular Contributor
What is the consensus; should I hang-on with this one or sell? 2013 performance to date very dissapointing...
0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
Just bought WHL shares now.
0 Kudos
keng
Contributor
Am waiting to buy more. Suggest Hold
0 Kudos
kawcha
Contributor
I also think hold, probably good price at around +-60
0 Kudos
Douw
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
keng
Contributor
Just remember that their final results are coming out on Thursday 29th, so you should see an increase in price from Monday. I don't expect any fireworks in the results but they should be solid.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
personally dont think now is a time to buy in the markets, especially not in retail, but conversly Im not saying sell either. I agree with Keng, Im on "Hold" at the moment
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Technically I'm getting no buy me signal. It's still in a downtrend and hasn't turned yet. No buy signals here. It could even test the recent low of R57.80 sometime in the future.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
it all depends on whether or not you are a trader or investor
0 Kudos
Mpow3r
New Contributor
http://www.bdlive.co.za/companies/2013/08/26/woolworths-in-an-enviable-position I know that news is fallible, and we'll see what's in store tomorrow with regard to their results, but going forward I think at the levels of 5900-6100, it still presents a buying opportunity. Lets hope that the results are great!
0 Kudos
Proff
New Contributor
brilliant calculation "Mpow3r", what do you think it will spike to from tomorrow onwards? where would be a good idea to exit?
0 Kudos
keng
Contributor
Well AP I hope you did hold
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
Stunning results today which gave a lovely inflated boost to the share price. Digging into todays numbers though I think we are in for a breather so after seeing my holding go from R15 four years ago I will be taking my profit tomorrow...........but I'll still be doing my food shopping here.
0 Kudos
AP
Regular Contributor
I've 'hold' and glad that the results were solid today; just hope that it will continue to rise...
0 Kudos
Douw
Frequent Contributor
Woolies heading for 7000 ?
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Dr_Phopho
Contributor
Market just realized its value
0 Kudos
keng
Contributor
Just remember this share is still Well down from its high. Come the silly season in a few months I wouldn't be surprised if it recoups the loses it has made. We know it is increasing Market share, could this be at the expense of the Ackermans?
0 Kudos
J12
Frequent Contributor
While I think that woolies is a great company and probably will deliver good results for the next few years, I would not buy it at such a high PE. When companies trade at such high PE's, it only takes a little bit of bad news for that price to come tumbling down. Unfortunately, many of our retailers are trading at similarly high or even higher PE's. Although Woolies clearly has a brilliant management team and strategy, they are not immune to changes in the economy. I think that if consumer spending were to slow down and/or the interest rate were raised a bit, investors would probably re-price the share with a lower PE, and if that's combined with a drop or slow down in earnings, it could bring the share price down. Long term (10 years +) though, it's probably a good company to invest in. omho.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
J12, interesting thoughts on the PE...but have you looked at the PEG..less than 1 at 0.72. Problem is Woolies sells food also and yet finds itself being compared to Truworths and MPC...I prefer comparing it to SHP and PIK..so i have divided the retail part of my portfolio into MPC and SHP, to cover both clothing and food...If WHL was only food, then I would have gone for MPC and WHL. At current levels, I think SHP and MPC are buyable for long term....
0 Kudos