Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Woolworth's drop of 5.7% in 2 days

moneybunny
Contributor
Hi Everybody, Does anybody know why Woolworths has dropped by almost 6% in 2 days. I can'r find an obivious reason. best regards
0 Kudos
29 REPLIES 29
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Consumer under pressure, SHP update tell the story.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
A minor correction on the retailers long overdue.
0 Kudos
moneybunny
Contributor
thanks for your help regards Mike
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
shp and mpc looking quite inviting.
0 Kudos
indium
Contributor
WHL Market Cap is R58bn vs Turnover of +-R28bn. That seems expensive to me even if their margins are higher than other retailers. PnP is trading at less than half its market Cap, but they have been having challenges.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
It is not only Woolworth, look at APN and MTN. Market seem not to like share in the industrial sectors.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
They are all heavily overbought. A small correction should set that straight.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
The index (gere) doesn't look too good.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I sold out of that sector today. Small holding in financial.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I have an issue with this thinking, whenever someone tries to outsmart the market by taking the dog in the sector.

Theres a reason why you pay a premium for an apartment in Sandton versus a mansion in Hillbrow.

Personally I pay the premium and keep buying the diamonds in the sector, its worked for me everytime.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I think you should pay attention to the INDI Index. It is not looking good. If Big Daddy (industrial Industrial) is sick, his kids will follow.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Reality might prevail after all!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
wont argue with you on this, but my point wasnt specifically aimed at WHL and PIK, it applies to anybody taking a sector and going for the cheaper share.

Take IT sector as example, if this suddenly look strong, then youll find how many people arguing Telkom is the share to pick.

I just dont get it.
0 Kudos
Pepi
Regular Contributor
Russ - MPC - i have a target of R154 R155 ?
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
It first needs to stay above support at about 13200.So far so good.The support seems to have held today (so far).
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
Shoprite numbers not so strong, same sector???
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos