Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Woolworth's drop of 5.7% in 2 days

prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Be more specific, you saying, buy the "dips" is the same as saying sell the "peaks".
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
stock in an uptrend, will retrace(dip), then trend up...will make you more money faster, than shorting the the highs(peaks). sure, can short the peaks, but why not short the peaks of stocks that are making lower highs?
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
If I read you correct you are saying this is a "dip" for retailing stocks, so buy. I don't agree, 90% of retailers are over priced and have been for some time, at best they are going to flatline for a while if not slide further, too early to be buying into this sector. Earnings are nowhere near their PEs
0 Kudos
surfer
Regular Contributor
So in other words,is this the start of the overdue correction towards the long term mean valuation,or just normal healthy buying opportunity from a pull back.Both sides of the trade have valid reasons but suppose time will tell!
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
i agree, this is not the "buyable" dip, whatever system you use will first have to give you a signal before you can buy...if this is a correction, then one should be looking to go long WHEN the correction is over
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Just rationale as Sasol , daddy walker.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I suspect a bit of a sell off followed by a consolidation period that could last a while.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
remember that Rams is looking at it from a technical point of view, buying the dips and pyramiding on the way up is a technical trading strategy that doesnt look at fundamentals.
It doesnt help argueing if you guys arent talking the same language.

Also note that prices and PEs can become and stay insane for a very long time (Shoprite and Naspers is case and point as a recent example)
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Agree with you on PE been insane ,but the jury is out on Daddy Walker(lol)
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
the technical equivalent of the PE is the stochastics/RSI...useless when prices are going up...and oh, the technical equivalent of preston is 18 month olds..useless in a trading forum!
0 Kudos