Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

World markets make new 5 year lows and what did the safe haven of gold do??

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ah bt he does get bespoke suits these days ... an gold about to go below 700 ... me thinks the biggest lesson from this crisis is that gold is without doubt a worthless relic, and the easy money on gold is short the spikes .
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
I would say about 15-20 shares should suffice. It doesn't matter which sectors they are in. As long as they meet your criteria of a high quality company with a proven ability to generate increasing real earnings/dividends in the long term available at a fair price or better. I would look to include such companies as MSM,MPC,TRU,SOL,PPC,SUR,ASA,SBK,RMH,KWV,PWK,WHL,CLH,ALT,APB,PMM,OCT and RLO. MTN, although not a great div payer, could in future begin to decrease its div cover. There's plenty of cashflow coming into MTN,but they need it for their expansion plans for now. I would include MTN. Of course everyone's needs are different so one would have to adapt such a portfolio to ones individual needs and means. OMO
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
But why are the world buying $ Simon ? Maybe because a gigantic margin call are forcing hedge funds to unwind their leveraged trades and buy dollars to pay back their carry trade loans. This mechanical trading will end sometime soon and at that time the dollar will be massively overbought and currencies like Euro etc. massively oversold. Don't be surprised if the $ start dropping very steeply anytime soon. When the US Government is creating billions and billions of new dollars out of thin air, the results is sure to pitch up sometime in the financial world.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hey Chartist I agree....but does that make Buffoon I mean Buffett a finacial necrophiliac
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Ooh, John. You stepped right in that one. Hedge funds unwinding massive carry trades and buying dollars to settle debt is far from seeking a safe haven. Gold is sold down like every thing else to cover that same debt. We'll see how safe your $ is when this process ends and all the US has left over is trillions of worthless paper created out of thin air. This might happen sooner than you thought. I would have thought everyone actually learned something from Zimbabwe. Gold will come back in a strong way guaranteed.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
During these trying financial times I've seen the Buffet fan club growing in leaps in bounds. You get the feet kissers, the butt kissers, the cheek kissers, and those just watching and having a good chuckle at all of this. Isn't it the same Buffet that said a few months ago that the worst of the financial crises is behind us? How can you follow the advice of a billionaire when your own frame of reference is so much different? The man could buy millions of $ of shares every day for the next 15 years and still be liquid. Could you do the same when blue chips drop with 10% some days? Buffet this and Buffet that - Who gives a *****!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
the dow will test 6'000 and today our market will test the o so test-level of 18400. if our market tests 18400 and gows through it next level is 16'000
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
He did buy a new Cadilac the other day, sold the old one on ebay or something...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If the US T-bill falls out of favour, gold is the next safe haven. And there's nothing like early days of a new presidency to start having doubts in a government.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Chartist your simplistic ignorance surprises me. What's wrong with investing today, to have MORE for tomorrow and the next day ... and the next.....
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos