Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Your Trading Holy Grail Rule

Blik
Super Contributor
What do each of you consider to be your holy grail rule that must never be broken in terms of trading, if you only had to pick one, and stop losses donA¢A_ATt count A¢A_A" I assume that these are placed irrespective? Would it be a particular support or resistance level, a momentum indicator level, something to do with liquidity, a particular trading pattern or other? SPB, for example, has posted certain rules on JustOneLap, like only risking a set amount of your capital. He has also clearly defined his rules in his lazy trading system. I know this is a bit of a general question, but I am curious to read what other people consider their one critical most important rule never to be broken, to potential success in trading. Since I donA¢A_ATt consider myself a Trader....yet....mine maybe something to do with linking the movement of the share or derivative back to a larger trend. IA¢A_ATll sum and post if there are a reasonable amount of responses.
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
discipline .. whatever the rule(s) ..
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
1.Never be greedy 2.Trade with money you can afford to loose
0 Kudos
3JN2
Frequent Contributor
Most critical is to stick to your rules on trade entry. Gives you best probality of a good trade, leading to profit. Take a chance on entry, take a loss.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
My holy Grail is never trade when you are angry with the wife,dog,father in law, mother in law, brother in law, employer, bank manager etc ,etc.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
NEVER,NEVER trade at market That can result in large losses.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
patience, still havent got it right though.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I remember someone (Fred?) saying "NEVER BUY A STOCK IF THE 200 SMA IS FALLING", which I thought was quite good.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
nobody died taking a profit
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
depends what you trade ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
hmmm, but they also never got rich .. you gotta milk the winners for everything they got ..
0 Kudos
suki
Super Contributor
u forgot "Let the profits run"
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
U forget, let your losses eat into your capital
0 Kudos
Not applicable
For how long and till what point???
0 Kudos
Pluto
Contributor
Keep on the right side of the market - long in a rising market, short ina falling market
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
With obedient guesswork that obtains ethereal directives that are both fleeting and occasional. An instinctive doctrine of shake, rattle and roll. Relax and worry, repeat. React and hesitate. Survivors are one in seven. Know your destiny and accept it.
0 Kudos
Skerp
Contributor
Start small, don't go for big score straight away, however tempting! Burnt my account twice before I learnt this lesson. Now comfortable making R500.00 - R1000.00 every second/third day net with on average three out of five trades winners. Losers I jump out of after R500 loss! Don't overtrade! I only trade at market, ALSI CFD'S. Agree, never trade when angry, work out a system that works for you, not SOROS, keep it simple, always works better for me. Mine so simple it's embarrassing.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
At SPB - I was thinking more along the lines of some sort of technical rule. Discipline alone will do you no good without a technical strategy. Having said that, I agree discipline is vital for both trading and investing.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yes.no.maybe .. that exactly my point .. it not about an indicator, system or anything .. it is about discipline ..
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Ok - true - but assuming discipline is a given. Your LTD rules are clearly defined, with conditions for long and short trades.
0 Kudos