Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

a forum is just a bar

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Alsitrader arrived here all a flutter and disjointed more than a few noses .. here's my thinking on online chat forum's after starting my first email based one in the mid 90's and managing a number since ..

A forum is like a pub, people meet an talk nonsense mostly .. Some people are loud and dominating others quietly sip their beer or milk never saying a thing others pretend to be who they are not .. people come and go and a few regulars kinda settle into the place and become known by all (for better or worse) ..
Typically when a newbie arrives at a pub, they order a milk or beer and sip it as they survey the scene as they figure it all out and intergrate themselves .. when a newbie bounces in all full of beans the regulars are deeply sceptical for a bunch of reasons - they've seen this many times before .. when the newbie appears to not be who they say and to boot a used soap sales person tis even worse ..
like all social situations it a process and how we intergrate ourselves matters hugely .. people are about ego and turf and the like ..

A last important point, no bar is only about one individual, if it is then it a very second rate bar, regulars come and go and sometimes people get bounced (usually just until they sober up), but the good bars survive regardless ..
0 Kudos
33 REPLIES 33
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
or hung over from to my baring last night .. struggling to remember ..
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
One cold Hansa please.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
well that explains everything (the choice of beer i mean)
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
When a guy arrives repeatedly selling the virtues of the Italian bar next door, like others before him, maybe some of the fogies who like the Irish one get irritated. But all will have another drink and hopefully get on. Besides, the bar next door at least has a place to post pictures and videos, this bar makes me use HTML and complains when I submit messages.
0 Kudos
SandraB_1
New Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Richard pse i though we agreed no advertorials please!!!!
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Oh no,alsitrader just walked into my bar.Where's the bouncer?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
exactly, there are many different bars with different themes .. some charge R20 for a Hansa while others offer karaoke others dancing girls ..
0 Kudos
cheapcheap
Regular Contributor
like the dancing girls part!!!
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Her name is "ElsieTrader", she's the can-can girl.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I'm in the wrong bar. Where are the dancing girls?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Chartist says it's Happy Hour over at his bar!
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Well, to be honest I had a look after you were posting madly, and it looked pretty good.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ok then im off - see u all later
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
So, what were you drinking Simon ?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Since we all so charged up: here is a nice Friday Joke: A neutron walks into a bar. "I'd like a beer" he says. The bartender promptly serves up a beer. "How much will that be?" asks the neutron? "Since youÂ’re a neutron?" says the barman, "no charge." AND ANOTHER :A couple of hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. The first says, "I think I've lost an electron." The second says, "Are you sure?" The first says, "Yes, I'm positive..."
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I am trying to work out why i am not laughing - is it because you are such a disagreeble person or is it a really poor joke. Or have I heard it before. You heard some previous poster - original thought on here only please.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Call the bouncer - fight starting!
0 Kudos