Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

a thought

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
on this forum (an others I know) we often get people making a case for selling .. regardless whether we in bull or bear market .. people want to short things because they been running or frot or whatever .. how come with very few exceptions do we get people talking about buying ?? especially considering that the market bias is generally up ??
0 Kudos
29 REPLIES 29
saash
Super Contributor
Cos we don't like buying things that are over-priced?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
True, I wanna sell and take my profit then buy back cheaper later on so i can re-use my profit to get more shares aty lower price and then sell again and repeat.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
We do not talk about buying in these kind of times because it feels as if we are giving away our last cents. Buying shares should be termed 'donating into shares'. But it sure feels good to sell and that is why we often mention it every time it crosses our minds.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but nobody was talking of buying in march either ..
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
People who talk about shorting,want people to sell, so that the can buy.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Maybe because we became broke during the down turn of the economy. But on the serious note, I believe that people are scared to buy shares now and probably sitting on top of loads of cash waiting for the upturn of the markets. I think this has a lot to do with investors confidence which has degenerated.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Yea, I suppose so. It does sound like most of the formites are swing traders. That being said it is important when you short as it is 50% of the transaction. So the TA is important in the shorting zone and because it is scary to short a bull try. So questions are posed to get consensus on the companies that are Tech overbought etc and are about to fall in price.
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
IMO this is how it has to and always will be.. The market trades against our belief systems, else them markets will just not be the market we know it to be
0 Kudos
zwi
Occasional Contributor
It's a wait and see game.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
But then when the market was cheap, some of us were buying and the others were telling us that we nuts as the market is crashing which was actually the right time to buy...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
sometimes wait and see can cost lots of profit... i bought many shares in December 2008, Jan and Feb, sometimes it looked a bit too early but now it has proven to be quite profitable...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja Simon, I guess thats why you lazy system is so effective, it doesnt have a fear of heights.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
lol, chirp of the month ..
0 Kudos
cope
Frequent Contributor
i think there is a lot of knew traders (like me) that enter the market begin of the year and that is where all the money is comming from (ou geld) that meen cash. there is no system for the knew traders. it is pure balck or red and in for the short. buy in the morning or late afternoon and then sell around about 13:00 thursday sell at 14:00 and do not buy on fridays. it is like a job
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
You know the answer to that one Simon. If you sold short, you inadvertently look for info to support your decision. So a nice way of achieving that is asking people's opinion on this forum. You then blank out all the guys that do not support you, and absorb every word of the followers.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but why don't we do that when we buy ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
so by that rationale, some are now saying the market is expensive - so you should do the exact opposite. Problem with this, is that hte market is inherently biased towards the bullish side. You are less likely to sell a winning stock than you are to sell a losing one.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
OMO but a lot of the selling chat is a search ofr people who agree with our decision & we all love to sell together - but we also love to boast that we bought AGL @R147 & look now wow arent we clever !!!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
i dont trade shares, only long term investments in excellent businesses, i believe i bought very good companies at very good prices, and no need to sell them even if they are high, only buy more shares when they take a breather... the Warren Buffett strategy works very well for me... Look our Jamie Dimon runs JPMC and you will see similarities. its much more relaxing than trading and yields very good results...
0 Kudos