Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

a thought

Not applicable
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Most forumites are not willing to put their head on the block BEFORE the outcome is known, but are happy to boast/inform us about their winning trades AFTER the fact. Yet it's from our losses that we learn the most from.
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
This is so true, I don't need to be told when to sell, I have stop losses for that! It is the shares that are about to move that I need advice on!
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
None of us can tell you in any reliable, repeatable way when something's about to move. If they could, they'd be on a yacht.

Frankly, it takes a lot to predict any bad market moves because the bulls are filled with 6 months of hindsight to base opinions on. It's easy to be a bull now. Much harder in March. Still, I suspect many bulls have been fairly even or losing lately because we've been in a fairly narrow channel for a while. There is no obvious move in the short term, IMO.

Does that mean I'm happy to go all in for a happy long term? No chance. The local economy is leveling out and maybe rising a bit at the pleasure of the international market, which is in a very unstable equilibrium. DOW 10k only means the dollar is worth nothing so they have to buy something, anything - resources, stocks, treasuries, foreign, whatever. We've only taken a year or two off our local market - the DOW is currently where it was 10 years ago and that's with the blessing of a dollar that has lost 25% (IIRC) of its value. The market is up, but only because the U.S. is still finding things to throw money at, and because they told banks they could value their holdings at anything they felt like.

The problems are still there. They've just been papered over for a while.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I don't think we should ever go "all in" for the long term .. I buy for the long term every month from salary, dividends, bonus, trading profits etc.. so a scaled in approach .. the only thing that changes is what I may be buying each month, depending on where I see decent value at the time ..
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
Simon, people talk about selling because that is what you advocate in trade to trade well. Sell, sell, sell. Exit. Take your profits and cut your losses. I've often gotten depressed on this forum when some people say sell. They're saying sell out of fear, and they're driving the price down. Fear is the Primary driver when forumites shout sell. Let em sell and I'll buy on the crossovers and these very same people allow me to trade swings. By the way, the course on Advanced Trading Metholody, does it cover swing trading?????
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Definitely the most sensible comment of the day :)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no different selling .. I am talking about selling short, not exiting an existing trade ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
so can I go home ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
everybody wants to sell and take profit but who is going to buy mmmm maybe the newbies. i work on a 5-15% profit and then i sell even if the share rocket to 40% growth,the thing is i what a buyer for my shares and not a seller.
0 Kudos