Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

alsi

nala
Super Contributor
Hi all . I curious to know how many contracts do do trade at a time or what is the max that you trade? What sytem do you use?
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
Not applicable
use at least 5% of your Capital. Don't expose too much of your money to risk of volitality
0 Kudos
Not applicable
use at least 5% of your Capital. Don't expose too much of your money to risk of volitality
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
minimum 2, max 5
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
Can i use 1 contract to build up eventually to 2 then to 5? Is it possible to use simons engulf candles system to achieve this goal.?
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
i believe the number will be determined by your capital.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nope, quantity traded is about risk, not capital .. 2% rule ..
http://www.justonelap.com/webinarDetail.asp?intWebinarID=27
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Nala, one contract is ok if you in a losing streak but if you in a winning streak, then you will be tempted to increase the number of contracts...but yes you can trade Simons system with one contract.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
just try engulfing with ALMI .. costs/spreads will mean profit almost impossible ..
0 Kudos
suki
Super Contributor
Candle of death
0 Kudos
Not applicable
you cannot day trade with ALMI's
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yip, I typo'd, left out the don't .. you can trade gaps with ALMI ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I beg to differ Simon, it is just plain daft to trade gaps with ALMI's. You can't trust the stops, the spread is too wide, and the costs are 10 times the cost relative to the ALSI. If you are averaging 100pts for gap closes, your transaction costs alone are 20% of the total.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
stops always have to be manual on ALMI .. spread costs adds about 50 points to a trade .. so on 100 piint gap, it soso .. but on a 300 point gap ??
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
stops always have to be manual on ALMI .. spread costs adds about 50 points to a trade .. so on 100 piint gap, it soso .. but on a 300 point gap ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You are advocating using an instruments that will cost you 50pts in spread - plus excess slippage (because of manual stop) + the equivalent of 26pts in transaction fees? That is 70-100 pts a trade? Or 1/3rd of your 300pt gap? An ALSI will cost you 15pts on the spread, virtually nothing on the slippage and 3pts on the transaction fee. 18-20pts vs 80? You can't seriously be advocating ALMI for day trades?
0 Kudos
3JN2
Frequent Contributor
ALMI great for learning. Did 20 "paper trades" now doing 20 ALMI trades. Make or lose R100 or so a trade. Proving systems with 20 ALMI trades, then on to one ALSI for 20 trades, then two ALSI.
0 Kudos
3JN2
Frequent Contributor
ALMI great for learning. Did 20 "paper trades" now doing 20 ALMI trades. Make or lose R100 or so a trade. Proving systems with 20 ALMI trades, then on to one ALSI for 20 trades, then two ALSI.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
and you won't learn anything IMO. Your entire strategy and approach will be different on an instrument as heavily geared as an ALSI. You don't learn to drag race in a tractor, just like you don't learn to plough a field with a stock car. They are different instruments built for different purposes.
0 Kudos
3JN2
Frequent Contributor
Fair comment. I watch ALSI but trade ALMI purely to limit risk. Points made or lost more important than actual profit. My point is that trading ALMI is a more accurate reflection of reality than ALSI "paper trades"
0 Kudos