Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

alsi

Oom_Boom
Frequent Contributor
ALMI would be fine if there were more people trading it, but currently the volumes are just too low. You can NEVER buy or sell 'at market', and the price just runs past your stoploss like a roadrunner on go-go juice. (Even manual stoploss Simon) Difficult to test your strategy but I guess to dip your toe and get used to the software interface you are using it is ok.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Todays Gap...set my entry at 28900
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
ALMI's fine, you just can't treat it like ALSI. With ALMI I leave bids/offers in the market for others to hit, not using at-market. I build a position over time and release it as the market moves in my direction. That way the spread isn't relevant because for a given ALSI price the ALMI is usually wider and any out-of-the-money bids get hit just fine. On the spread - it's less reliable than ALSI and you can't push the same volume, but right now it's been 4-20 points, which is irrelevant. End-of-day, different story, but I'm not trying to exit like I would with ALSI. With ALSI I usually want a position *right now*, so far more likely to worry about the spread.

With ALMI I can increase or reduce the position with more granularity, so I have far less of a binary 'in-out' decision. Instead of entering a short at exactly X in a market that could reverse, I can add a bit before X and adjust if the market moves past X. I spend less time watching it. I set up a few bids at various points, continue working, the market moves in my direction or it doesn't. When there's a more perfect setup, I move to the ALSI and watch it more carefully.

Currently, 5 short, avg price (supposedly) 29283. Had 12 yesterday. Few thousand bucks, no stress involved.
0 Kudos