Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

any auto electrician on the forum?

Not applicable
Any one able to advise me on faulty direction indicators on a 1992 bmw 320, the globes seem to be intact, aswell as the fuses in the engine compartment seem to be intact. The indicators lights and relay die after approx 5 uses, and the right works more often than the left. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
SkarlakenKoos
Frequent Contributor
Are the fuses the correct amperage? If you're using higher than prescribed values, it could indicate a problem somewhere else. Just a suggestion.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja I better check the owners manual for ratings
0 Kudos
Not applicable
NOt an auto lectrician but it could be as simple as a bad earth connection somewhere in the wiring. Check you earth connection for rust or corrosion. Usually in the bonnet near the engin and batery somewhere. My first jalopy a renault 5 had similar probs many years ago. I simply just earthed the indicators near the fittings directly to the body work. Seemd to work for me, but then again it was a simple engine and wiring. BMW has fancy computers to control many functions so I would get an opinion on messing with the wiring and earth status of the vehicle.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Could be CPS tnx! now u mention it I one replaced a battery and a starter motor due to a rusty earth connection on an old bakkie.!
0 Kudos
Hibiscus
Regular Contributor
On a lighter side. Nothing wrong with your indicators they are designed to work... not work...work...n..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
haha!!! but the 'not working' operation is taking too long !
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
easier solution... buy a new one
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Sound like the flasher unit may be faulty...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
LOL! It seems like chart indicators are designed to do just that - like stochastics - they work, then they dont then they do...
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Does it work fine if the stearing is straight? or does it happen either driving straight or turning? Could be the stearing is oval and bumping the switch off!! Otherwise Earthing of the flasher unit. There was a Russian web site that had books on BMWs (many are imported with no manuals) so you should be able to find one online. I will see if I can find one.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks alot jack12!!, I shall go and investigate. , the hazards work like a charm, its only the left and right indicators that isnt giving their full cooperation. maybe fault in the switch mechanism?. :(
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It dissapoints in any steering wheel position..strange
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Try replacing the indicator unit with a second hand . Try beamos. I always said I will ony replace my 5 series when the wheels fall of. I have now done 510 000 kms.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Jip, I paid my auto electrician a visit yesterday, virdict: faulty indicator lever mechanism thing. The guy told me that the old parts are more expensive because the agents have to keep it for so long blah blah... The beemers got 100 000 on the clock, mint condition, (1992 model) not too bad buy for 30k
0 Kudos