Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

anybody got some input on this share?

JeromeA
Occasional Contributor
Hi, I see some of the big funds starting buying up shares, coronation bought up 50% of this share last week, plus the company got some good reviews and was voted one of the top 5 most profitable property company in the world. whats your guys though on this one. Definite buy for long term? http://www.biznews.com/property/2014/10/02/sa-property-company-fortress-one-best-performers-world-gl... http://www.profileproperty.co.za/news/fortnightly-property-news-16-oct-2014/ Thanks Jerome
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Not applicable
I personally have a problem with listed property stocks that generate revenue from other listed property stocks. To me, the beauty of listed property is the annuity income. They are not shoot the lights out capital growth stocks, but rather stable, low risk quality investments. Now a stock like Fortess, 40% of its asset value is based on fair value adjustments of its investments into Nepi, Resllient (which in turn invests in Nepi!), ROC, etc. If you look at their reported income - R700m in rentals - R1bn in fair value adjustments. Why do I need to buy Fortress, just so that I can own Nepi? (I own Nepi - a great performer!). Not saying its a bad stock - but it doesn't conform to my view on how to invest in listed property. I own Hyprop, Attacq, Nepi and Redefine (and Arrow - thanks to a Redefine unbundling). Redefine has been a bit of a dog - but Arrow has done OK. Attacq is on the move of late and Hyprop is doing great. Granted, Hyprop owns bits of Attacq, but the difference is that Hyprop can buy out Attacq in its entirety if needed - Fortress can't do the same with Nepi!
0 Kudos