Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

are there any bargains out there

THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Not with a barge pole - not in this market. When the buyers leave you high and dry in this stock - you'll understand. It fell to around R40 less than two years ago (from R165)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Especially since their own annual results gives them a life of mine of 5 years. So a PE of anything greater than 5 is betting on the rand copper price increasing, and Palamin finding new resources
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
so are you going to join me at buying VOD at R80-80?
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
If my old solid shares in my portfolio drop a bit more, I may look to pick up again. For me thats not going to be Palamin LOL, but rather a bit of SPP, DST and BTI. But am going to watch and wait a bit.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
They have 2 expansion projects - The western exp. project which adds a few years.; AND the LIFT ii project which is pretty massive and involves establishing a new mine under the current mine utilising much of the current infrastructure (and effectively extends life by mine by 18 years (if I recall)). So that is 26 years. Problem is that LIFT ii was projected to cost 3,5 billion 6 or so years ago. Probably 3x that now. So copper needs to remain pretty buoyant. Anyway - it would no doubt involve a massive hedge position (much like ther last one.)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
err so did people buy KIO on Monday ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
question is, would you buy now?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
because that kind of a selloff is almost always retested.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
err, not sure .. Monday was easy, today still value BUT less safety net .. I spose probaby I would nibble, but got my full Monday so moot for me ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
for the record .. I bought 3 stocks on Monday; BIL and KIO coz they were massively cheap which would have protected downside (to a degree) .. and SBK, not massively cheap but I like them and at 9100(ish) I figured cheap enough for me ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well done Simon, your opinion on SOL as buy?
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
Good skills on BIL. I was tempted on monday. Chose to sit out cause tues was a holiday. BIL buyers must be super happy today. Esp the CFD bunch!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I like SOl and consier it a corner stone of a portfolio .. but didn;t buy on Monday as it wasn't screaming cheap .. an tot he larer point, yes my buys (well BIL & KIO) looking wauy smart right now .. but in a week or two they could be looking a lot less smart .. thing is I bought at what I consider way cheap and bought for long term so happy regardless ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Jip, and cost averaging will resolve the problem if you have furtehr downturn from here
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I am wanting tos sell the gold to buy BHP...as to the talk of cheap..Skaap..in the hayday of Warren buffets day... information was scares and mispricing happened as a result.. these days.. mispricing happens because of gearing and index related exposures... so one should not be looking at old measures of value but rather be looking to trade the short covering rallies created by the highly geared drops like we have just seen..IMO
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
Long term could be half price! Japan!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
What is the ideal/bargain buying range on the PE, DY and EY of a share
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
African Rainbow - bless her little old heart.
0 Kudos