Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

banks, retailers

manere_fortis
Frequent Contributor
Interesting that banks continue to rally in spite of Gill Marcus' comments indicating that interest rates will be going up. S'pose the current rand strength helps, but if and when it weakens, they are likely to give some of this back. Same with Retailers. Time to exit the longs?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Had a fair amount of SBK cfds which I may have exited a little too early, but then again more than made that up by switching to CPI as I felt it was lagging the rest. I don't see much upside with the big boys at this stage. Even though at a slower pace than the past CPI still continues to produce the goods.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Morning. On the topic of shorts : If you hold short SSF's after LTD will the dividend be debited to your account on payment date? equal to your exposure times divedend per share declared? Thanks.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
he full div if you held at close on LTD
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
What about a CFD, is the full divi paid too? Thanks...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
v is priced out so net neutral, CFD you pay/receive
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Yes, but not treated as a dividend when it comes to tax, the full dividend becomes income when received from CFDs
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
Many thanks...
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
You sure? OST is deducting 15% withholding tax from my CFD account when I receive dividends.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
OST pays div on CFD as div, so less 15% DWT .. not paid as income
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I liek banks right now (hold SBK and CPI as long term) .. they have massive cash balances, debt ratios looking fine for now and well positioned for expansion (BGA and SBK more than NED and FSR as the former has good African footprint)
0 Kudos