Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

best momentum indicator to use

jannie2
Contributor
in your experience in trading stocks, which MOMENTUM INDICATOR do you find works best and with which parameters. Do I ever need to adjust the parameters ? say when I look at diferent time frame - daily chart / weekly chart ?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Not applicable
Better question: what are you using (intending to use) and why? what changes do you envisage and why? Then maybe we can help or say well done etc
0 Kudos
jannie2
Contributor
and one question - in your opinion the best /favorite oscillator to try and identify cylcle lows and highs. and it's parameters ok so we are looking at 1. best momentum inducator and 2. facorite oscillator your advice would be higly appreciated.
0 Kudos
jannie2
Contributor
Hello CPS thanks for the reply At the moment- for momentum indicator- I am trying to use DMI - but I am not exactly sure if I am reading it correctly . and as for oscillators - it's the RSI and/or Stochastics - but I do not have the parameters sorted out as yet. and what I have learned is that before one trades one should try and get confirmation on longer term charts , - say weekly charts, that's why I am asking about the parameters and if they need to change .
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Oss will depend on What time frame are you wanting to trade over? ROC is easiest for momentum (DMI very complex if you not sure what to look for). How much experience do you have trading and what are you wanting to trade? SSF, CFD, Warrants Stocks, Instalments etc?
0 Kudos
jannie2
Contributor
I will usually be in a trade for a month or so - so not a long term investment strategy ... experience - it's been a while - but cannot say that the more experience - the more knowlegable I became , I really want to do it right from now on- so I deciced to keep a log book of all my trades and - and trades I did not take - - and see if I can learn from my mistakes. curently trading in shares only ... thanks for the momentum idicator advice - the roc - currently the paramiter is at 21 - should I keep it there or adjust - I am looking at daily charts of say oml and kio, any advice on the oscillators ?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Marzena, there is no "holy grail". Whichever indicator you use will fail at some point - period. Learn to manage the trade. Read at least one market related book a month. Educate yourself and stop looking for the easy route.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Marzena,good move trading in shares for now-no time decay.Stay away from warrants until you know what you are doing.With the combination of spread,costs and time decay warrants will wipe you out unless you are experienced.Probably similar for other derivatives,but I chose warrants as my weapon of self-destruction!The only problem is that more capital is required to make decent profits with shares,but it's a good place to learn,and if you have enough capital even better.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well seeing you only doing monthly trades (or there abouts the standard periods will be OK, however as mentioned by others "no holy grail" and maybe testing (back testing) with different settings will help you develop your own system and results. After all no-one here can tell you what to do as only you know what you want and how you want it. Risk, personal choice, emotional awareness, why you choose KIO over OML or the other way etc. Great advise reading market reports and probably a good trading book. trading In the Zone - Mark Douglas and trade you way to financial freedon - van K Tharp are usual best choices here. Many others but those usually top the charts.
0 Kudos