Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

buffetology- by mary buffet

nala
Super Contributor
i was reading this book over the hols- a QUESTION ARISES what are the monopolies that exists on the JSE -the Jse being one.Are the view propounded there still relevant?
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
richardw
Super Contributor
Yeah, I've tried to find them too. Sasol was about the closest I could find. The banks as a group are a oligopoly so very close - just buy whatever is looking cheap at the time. The thinking is definitely still relevant.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
yip, thinking is still relevant, but here in SA there isnt so many of those Buffett-style monopolies. but i like the banks the most. i have shares in quite a few and they have proven very good to me over the years. Capitec (which everyone told me wasnt so good last year) turned out to be the best investment of mine in 2009... I am looking to invest in offshore firms now, where i do find the dominant leaders of global industry and what i believe the future for certain sectors...
0 Kudos