Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

cape town input greatly appreciated

Not applicable
I'm moving to CT from Pretoria first week in December and will be renting for the first year. So far Milnerton, Burgundy Estate (Plattekloof??),West Beach and Table View areas offer some decent rentals. Southern suburbs are crazy wrt rentals for my needs (min 3 beds + study and yard for 2 GS dogs). I would greatly appreciate some input from locals on the above mentioned area especially wrt security, primary schools (english/dual medium), etc as I am an ignoramus on the area. Will be flying down on Wednesday to view and possibly sign lease. Thanks in advance....
0 Kudos
65 REPLIES 65
SKALA
Super Contributor
Welkom, solank jy opgehou het om ANC te stem.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Dankie..lol....ironically tis the main reason I'm moving........anyway there goes ur neighbourhood;-)
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Lekker, fortunately I live in Southern Burbs! lol.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I stay in Milnerton. The main primary school is Milnerton primary and then a bit further away you have table view primary, Bosmansdam and Edgemead primaries. There is also holy cross and Woodbridge Primary close by but they are quite poor schools.
0 Kudos
NOMAD1
Frequent Contributor
Lucky you !!! Im still trying to move back to Cape Town, hate this gauteng !!! People tend to look at you skeef in Gauteng when you leave work at 17:00, when you work till 17:00 in Cape Town, then at 16:59 your hand is on the exit door handle waiting for that min to click over !!! People in Gauteng are generally more stressed. When i visit home, that plane lands, and the door opens !! feels like all the K@K just disappeard In a nutshell, YOU LUCKY B@STARD !!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ta Chris. I've 2 shortlisted homes in that area, one in Milnerton Ridge and the other at the Royal Ascot.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Somerset west....look no further.....beaches, wine farms and only 30 mins from town with the best schools in the province, great university and best quality of life in the world....trust me, don't waste your time anywhere else.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Dinen, some advise. Maybe try and sign a 6 month renewalble lease for 6 months extra if you can. You will have to negotiate hard though, agents dont like short leases.

The reason behind my logic is the area, features etc might seem great in the begining but the cr@p starts after you move in and you just see why the place was for rent. That way you only have to stick out a few months.

Other side of the coin you might love the suburb and area and decide to buy in the neighbourhood and can get away with a quick out of the lease or extand the extra 6 months to give you time to finalise the buying etc. I dont live in CT anymore but will return again one day.
0 Kudos
MAGICIAN
Frequent Contributor
I'm also in the southern suburbs. Very quiet and peaceful and some pretty good schools. West Beach and Tableview are fine but traffic into town every day is awesome. Burgundy Estate is brand new and personally I wouldn't go there. Ninja is right - Somerset West is great - good schools, good shopping, pretty much has it all.
0 Kudos
Jacques_1
Frequent Contributor
Table View/Milnerton Ridge - Horenduous traffic. Royal Ascot is built on a horse farm, stinks of manure and full of flies. Milnerton is also home to the chinese triad gangs and have garages full of perlemoen that they go out to steal at night. My suggestion is my suburb of 32yrs... Camps Bay.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
good point mate, however also gotto take moving costs into account. Stutterfords quoted me R87K for the move down to Cape incl. 2 cars and 2 dogs.....don't want to go thr' that again!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Dude the last 32 years would have been a great investment....CB definitely outta my price range. Ninja/Magican...wife will be based in CBD, hence Somerset will b 2 far. What do you guys think of Parklands???....I c sum lovely house there for R8-9k?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Dude. I live in the heart of the northern suburbs. Durbanville. Easy access to the n7 and n1. Work in montague gardens so it takes me 25 min drive. Good schools. Durbanville primary. Kenridge. Private school Chesterhouse. Excellent surroundings.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Parklands is very busy and packed. I personally don't like it. Some oke was shot dead while gardening about 6 months ago for no reason. There are good spots in parklands though. The schools in that area are some of the best private schools around here, namely Alkana and Parklands college
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Please don't waste your time.....Its either somerset west or durbanville.....there simply is nothing else that comes close.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Whats the distance/ travelling time from Durbanville to Cape Town CBD especially during peak times? Ta..
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
I would estimate about 45 mins...we also settled into CT after working in London for 8 years.....searched every suburb for 3 months before making a decision.....you cant go wrong with either suburb and in my opinion buying up the hill in Helderberg, somerset is as close to paradise as you get......views over false bay at sunset, breakfast on wine farms on the weekends and walking on strand beach after work...been here 3 years now and enjoy it more with every day. Good luck with the move and welcome to the mother city.....after living in the north every day is going to feel like heaven and every weekend like a holiday!
0 Kudos
am_1
Frequent Contributor
There are some great buys in Milnerton - biggish properties, well built close to schools city fairly central to most areas around CT. Crime stats a bit high due to settlements in the area and commercial properties in Montague Gardens. Woodbridge Island is a gated community virtually on the beach. My son lives there and loves it. Windy in summer (not as bad as some areas of Camps Bay)but great for wind/kite surfing, golf next door and magical in Spring/Autumn. And on the rapid bus route to the city. Speak to Leapfrog and Jawitz in the area. Don't touch Parklands - too far, houses built in a hurry and not good for kids. City bowl has great rental properties in areas like Tamboerskloof,Gardens and Oranjezicht and good schools. Go shopping for a place on a bad south-easter day and find a wind free corner to keep sane.
0 Kudos
MAGICIAN
Frequent Contributor
Wouldn't touch Parklands with a barge pole - sorry if any forumites live there, but I really don't like it. How about Edgemead - I have a son who lives there - he works in town and travelling is not too bad. As far as I know, the schools there are quite good and I don't think prices are too bad. Durbanville is also very nice if you can manage to find a reasonably priced place.
0 Kudos