Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

cape town input greatly appreciated

Not applicable
I live on Woodbridge Island and my dad stays in Milnerton Ridge. Woodbridge Island is a great spot as its close to the beach and very very safe, but it is expensive and the houses are small. Milnerton Ridge is a great spot in my opinion, my dad has lived there for 19 years and his house has been broken into 3 times only until he got an alarm. I suppose I might be a bit bias as I really do like Milnerton as I grew up here. Your best bet is to come down and check it out and then make a decision for yourself
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi Have to agree, Durbanville is really nice! But then again, I grew up there and dont know the other areas very well. Morning traffic can be a little bad, but Im shure its nothing compared to Joburg traffic. Central Cape Town also has some nice areas, but that can be a little pricy. I kind of like Burgendy Estate, but will only recommend it in a few years time as its still very new. Royal Asacot is also quite cool, but houses and yards are small from what I have seen so far. At the end of the day it all depends on your personnel tastes and it will probably be best to come have a look for yourself.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks for all the replies guys....much appreciated. Anyway time for shut eye....have been at this blasted computer the whole day looking at houses. My ANG long looks shot to ***** now as well....anymore days like this and it will be Mitchells Plain 4 me;-))
0 Kudos
NOMAD1
Frequent Contributor
Hey !!!! I come from Mitchells Plain !!! Portlands to be exact !!!!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Jammer dude....no malice intended. As I said, I'm an ignoramus on the geography of CT...just heard some mates talking about how hectic some parts of Mitchell's Plain are...
0 Kudos
NOMAD1
Frequent Contributor
Well honestly yes it is, since this TIK ***** hit the market, you see beautiful coloured chix from good homes selling themselves for the drug. Guess thats just the way of life ! Ag no worries, I would move to Durbanville, Plattekloof, Tableview, Somerset West myself should I get out of this ***** Gauteng. Way at the back of Durbanville is an area called Sonstraal Heights, think its been there now for the last 5 years i think, looks like a nice family type of area. Cape Town CBD is nice at night, unlike Joburg CBD which is a graveyard. Nice restaurants on the sidewalks. Hemisphere nice club to check out !!
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I'd give my front teeth to move to Cpt........Gauteng is a rotten to the core, corrupt place with a lousy standard of living compared with the Western Cape.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Just bought a 3bd house in Blouberg close to my favourite windsurfing spot, - pratically a straight swap for my Vredehoek flat! Drive into town is 15k's about 50min in traffic, which is really only between 6:30-8am and again at 4-5pm. For an ex valie, this is nothing! The rapid transit system will definitely make a big difference, and there are going to be cycling lanes all the way into town - big bonus. Cape Town rules - the only city in the world where rush hour is between 4-5!
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Almost had mental breakdowns when I return from KZN to GP. A friend of mine who visited his parents in the Mediterranean had to go for therapy when he got back to GP.
0 Kudos
GL
Contributor
Milnerton if you don't mind wind. Otherwise Plattekloof. Tableview/Blaauwberg/Parklands et al are a HUGE no no. Traffic is a nightmare.
0 Kudos
GL
Contributor
I live in CT, but do regular business in JHB. One thing I note about people in JHB is that they are AT work longer hours, but don't actually do MORE work in that time. Most time spent in meetings and stressing. Not doing anything useful.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
what about Kirstenhof and Bergvleit. I see some reasonable home rentals there as well as good schools! Also are there good and bad areas of Claremont because there are some huge differences in rental from reasonable (R8k) to outlandish (R40k)
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Yep, achievements are low! Most of it is just buzzwords, pretentiousness, wannabe-isms and goochi-goochi wow-wow! I am totally pissed off with this. Quit the job, pulling out the pension and returning home to KZN at the end of the month (Saturday). Had a colleague of mine off himself a week and a half ago. Looks like I got out just in time.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi there Dinen, Cape Town is a tricky place especially if you have to work in the city. Traffic is hellish, then there is the Caltex Refinery & the South Easter. Royal Ascot & certain areas in Milnerton might be in the "ACID rain belt". Do you need to be so close to CAPE TOWN? why not Wellington or Paarl? Good rentals & good value with added bonus of country lifestyle? Schools not too shabby either as for Stellenbosch? Tokai, Lakeside also have good schools & properties are larger for yr dogs; On the North West side of Cape Town it is all about LOCATION !!!! ie where is the LOCATION? Durbanville & the newish areas at the back near Fisantekraal all have experienced a building boom so there might be good bargains that side. My advice as a 40yr old Capetonian, is that take yr time, find yr feet & then buy.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I also agree with Ninja - the drive from Somerset West is a pleasant one & as for a great place to live - there is no other in Cape Town. Camps Bay is a parking / Driving NIGHTMARE. Taxi rank in the main road, small beach - just too crowded. The traffic on N2 only starts part the airport & if you are used to Gauteng Traffic then that will be a doddle !!! Bergvliet is also a good place to start.
0 Kudos
olilau
Frequent Contributor
howdy, we moved to CPT 8 years ago and agree, best spot in SA. we were told that capies are cliquey and difficult to make friends with, but one thing i realised about blouberg and surrounds is that its ex pat country. everyone there is from up country. apart from the more established table view, a big part of blouberg is very young and therefore not very developed, in contrast to beautiful, leafy constantia. cape town is too diverse to settle immediately on where you want to end up at. you are making the right decision to rent with a view to buy unless you have some money and want to speculate on property cause there are some bargains out there. bear in mind that you will most likely move again within the medium term so it will cost, but not 90K. there are some good moving companies here like budget movers. it cost me 50K 8 years ago to move ex joeys and i paid 5K 2 years later to move from west beach to parklands. (oi, this will raise some eyebrows on those staunch barge pole holders) everyone is japping about traffic from blouberg into town. to generalise that traffic is bad from there is rubbish. traffic is a problem all over cape town if you have to come into CBD no matter where you are except the CBD itself and depends greatly on when you drive in and how or on what. on the best of days it takes me no more than 20 minutes from parklands into town. in 8 years i have had less than 10 occasions where there was a serious problem and was stuck for more than 1 hour. hardly any taxis in that area (i speak as an ex gauteleng) is a blessing, although that seems to be increasing a little down blaauwberg and koeberg road. there are a few alternative routes to take into CBD + the BRT will i think make a big difference. then again, i only drive in at around 9 o'clock and only leave after 18h00. the N1 is always backed up in peak, especially en route from durbanville/plattekloof. there are a number of factors to consider : where do you/wife work and working hours, how many kids and how old, big property or small, budget, lifestyle, urban or suburban etc etc. schooling for kids is a major factor especially if your kids are young! are private schools within your budget, bearing in mind that at parklands college (private school in parklands and one of the best in cape town) you pay a non refundable joining fee of 16K and then bank on 3500 bucks per child per month as a rough guide. this subject is too involved to cover in a paragraph on the forum. am happy to meet up for a cup of coffee to give some advice if you need it. also know a really good estate agent who wont bullsh;! you. this subject is too involved to cover in a paragraph on the forum.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
Hey Dinen! Finally you're moving to a civilised place :-) Anyway, Burgundy is a no go unless you like living next to a petro refinery (think kids and asthma) and right underneath 266KV pylons (they should make you glow in the dark). While Tableview, Big Bay and surrounding areas are pretty, there's a lot of crime and drugs going on. And the traffic from Tableview is awful (think 2hours to town in peak). In Milnerton itself the Ridge and Royal Ascot are your best bets for safety and reasonably quick access to town. The only downside is that it's mostly smallish millenium style badly built boere kitsch estates. In the ridge and ascot, don't pay more than 7,500 max for 3 bed cluster. You can get houses rented for less than that in the ridge. You could also try Century City, but that's high density and noisy and totally overpriced. G'luck
0 Kudos
of
Frequent Contributor
We moved to CT 3 years ago a nice alternative to "further out" areas are Fish Hoek or Simonstowns I live in the latter but do not have to travel.Be carefull for the hype Capetonians tend to put on house prices if you look carefully you will get great buys and rentals look at Pinelands is very central get a view on it as well
0 Kudos
Jacques_1
Frequent Contributor
I say again Royal Ascot is for horses, it smells of them and is covered in flys, plus the houses are as big as some horses stables next door also whithin galloping distance to the nearest squatter camp/high voltage pylons/Oil Refinery. Parklands is also known as "Lagos" due to the Nigerian drug dealers that all live there.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ok I'm nearly there...in part due to all the wonderful input on this thread....so thank you. Me thinks Bergvliet, saw a nice house there for R9.5k/month (is this ok?) and down the road from Sweet Valley Primary where my eldest aka Kublai Khan should get into grade 5. This school comes highly recommended (anyone know?). He is a provincial chess player and Bergvliet Primary seems to have some too with a very advanced chess program....so I don't know. Guess I'll be just glad he gets a place in either one. As for remaing 2 nuclear bombs, they will just have to go private as grade R and nursey are completely choked. Am told that the wife will have to spend approx 40mins during peak hour to get to CBD. The missus thinks I've built too romantic a version of CT and will b disappointed....Personally I can't wait....lower crime, lovely weather, sit trading by poolside, beer in one hand, joint in the other.....Hmmmmmmm, can't wait!
0 Kudos