Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

chartist

nala
Super Contributor
what was your previous occupation -what made you do trading full time
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
Not applicable
Chartist use to be a sumo wrestler....just kidding...lol
0 Kudos
Not applicable
have a look at www.spintelligent.com.....I was one of the founders and am still a director of this company....we have recently been bought by a UK group so this has allowed me do what I really want...
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
I too would like to be in a similar position. Worked out how much cash I need and am working towards that. Unfortunately the turn in the housing market has kicked a bit hard, we trying to sell out to plug the leaking hole (R720K/yr), hope to sell out even at a discount by the end of 09.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
chartist, in your opinion what do u recommend i study @ vasity in order to become a CEO/MD/chairman in a company? currently im studying entrepreneurship, then il be doing a bcom gen with that next year, then proceed to do a few short courses on small business management, project management etc etc then tackle my mba..ive seen a few high profile directors have a Bsc..my CV is very strong apparently, with experience running my own garden maintainance/landscaping company, and managing the family guesthouse.. please supply yr opinion thanks
0 Kudos
Not applicable
are you black?
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
lol yea, please dont mention any BEE advantages cos i dont intend getting in like that..in fact i totally disagree with the whole thing with specific reference to selecting candidates according to skin colour. i want to have the corect skills that would get me in even if i was white..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
then i reckon u go the ceo chairman route...
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
and am i stuying the right things? or would you add to my list
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
Just to let you in on what I've picked up from periodicals, articles and first hand experience. The main pool that companies are focusing for recruitment of high level executives is currently Business Analyst's, due to there constant exposure to problem solving and optimisation in multiple business area's and industries. In order to pursue this sort of career you would need exposure to some business and some information systems courses at varsity. A general Bcom will cover the business side, but try and weight yourself into some IS courses through you course choices if possible and extra courses. At my current place of work (within the financial services industry) we had a BA who completed her MBA and was snapped up a year later by a company needing a CEO, thats my first hand experience of it. But you should always do what you enjoy doing, if you can find what that is, I'm still looking. You'll lead a far happier and more successful life doing what you love to do, I sound like one of those career coaches.
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
had a look at your website - spintellgent; wish you all the luck; how much time do you spend in the day on trading-do you go to the loo when you trade or do wear diapers? what shares do you keep an eye on - name 5; what products do you trade?
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
a good trader should be able to get up and walk away with no fear or concern, because if you are trading correctly you will have stops in place and your exit trade orders at your pre-determined exit price should have already been opened.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ja but i prefer the feel of the diapers
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
thanks so much guys!
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
Shard? Interesting that you mention BA's? I'd be interested to know if you know of any companies that actually understand what BA's do and... dare I say it... appreciate what they do? Drop me a note on [email protected] .I saw the gap between business and technology many years back and specifically educated myself in this direction since I enjoy problem solving (BA didn't even have a name back then). I have a business degree with focus on IS and strategy and several varsity IT quals from programming through project management. Got many years practical, on-the-ground experience working as a BA in technology integration. But... the problem in SA is that the average senior level business manager is, well, just that... a business manager with not a clue about technology and even less experience in problem solving. I'm quite surprised and heartened by what you say since it's been a never ending uphill battle for me just to be recognised, let alone properly utilised. If business people are actually starting to recognise the value of an experienced BA then It's a luverly day indeed!
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
Hi Nova, I can understand that you're still struggling. The stuff I've based my conclusion on is mostly US based research and articles. It is the definite trend over there at the moment so you can assume that it will soon be transferred into the developing countries soon as well. The problem that BA's face in SA atm is that, as you said, many of the upper echelons of management dont know where the power button is on there PC, so this generally cultivates a fear of more technology literate people. I too have IT and Business qualification's. I'll drop you a mail from my home mail later, dont know of any companies in particular that place specific value on BA's in SA yet, but your best bet will probably be the multi-national companies. Give it another 5 years though.
0 Kudos