Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

consolidation

KKKK
Contributor
1:100 share price will not spike to R3. more like R1.5 If you are holding at a cost of 2c, looks like you will lose out alot
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
md49
Contributor
please explain why?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
On the JSE - there can only be one reason a company would do a share consolidation - and that is because the directors or an institution(s) are trying to sell. When all the 2c offers are lapped up, you can then only get a 100% reduction, whereas when you have a 100 to 1 share consolidation, you get a whole lotta numbers in-between. Sometimes companies consolidate to raise capital (because you can't price an NPL when the share price is 2c) but that is also a lose / lose situation.
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
Would you then suggest that Supergroup did a share consolidation for this reason only? I somehow think not. Companies also consolidate to reduce the costs of managing the shareholder base. I do not know AET but I do know that the local steel industry is in a major squeese at the mo.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja, I am not entirely sure about hte SPG consolidation - immediately after the consolidation, they make 2 announcements 1) a R300m share buy back and 2) a R300m debt restructuring scheme. I am not entirely convinced the two initiatives are not hand in hand, but ordinary share-holders in SPG are better off. In AET's case though???
0 Kudos
KKKK
Contributor
are the consolidation dates right. i see it was revised to 4 jan 2013. not supposed to be today
0 Kudos
DaMerlin
Contributor
the consolidation is today. The odd lot offer is on the 4th
0 Kudos
KKKK
Contributor
where do u think the price will settle
0 Kudos
DaMerlin
Contributor
sellers aren't selling at bid price and buyers aren't buying at offer price so at the moment I can't be sure but i reckon around 225-250c before it slowly drops back down over the next few months
0 Kudos
KKKK
Contributor
there are way too little shares in public hands
0 Kudos
KKKK
Contributor
funny how people are selling at under R2. they should not sell at all under the R2 else its a loss.
0 Kudos