Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

crash?

guru
Contributor
Does anyone know if its true that the JSE crashed in August 1997 and August 1987 and it happened exactly on the same day. Is this a pattern or just BS.
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Russ
Super Contributor
I don't know but for a few weeks Colin Abrams has been forecasting a big correction,maybe a crash,in August or October this year.I don't know what we are seeing at the moment but I believe things are going to get much worse over the next couple of months. I was 100% in shares,now 90% in cash.I think day traders must be having fun now,especially with shorts.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yes we are....short at the open....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
guru no truth at all, it was October 1987 and then May and June 1998.
0 Kudos
Sharkie
Occasional Contributor
What is the difference between a correction and a crash?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
About 30%
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hey Chartist how does 700 point grab you!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Correction down a sweet 800 points
0 Kudos
Not applicable
great ...gaps now closed ...i would look to go long at 25300 for a gap close (todays)
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Interesting - ZAR at 720 resistance level - wonder what impact that'll have.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Tis a possibility. When you think you cant loose you are about to, and going short does seem like a cant loose situation. I would think that yesterdays gap may act as resistance.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Yip, but I'm gonna go with MM. All I have is STAs in SOL, AGL and IMP. About 75% cash - most ever.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Buying a little put with some of that cash just as hedge against that other 25% might be a good idea me thinks
0 Kudos
Beep_Beep
Super Contributor
May I ask who is MM
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
He is the closest thing to a market God we have, he is a TA analyst at JP morgan
0 Kudos