Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

currency

Not applicable
Can someone please tell me why currency strengthens when interest rates are raised,etc..
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
DT, the differences between currencies are down to the difference in interest rates of the respective countries. When SA raises rates by 1/2% then it is more attractive than other countries yields so overseas investors buy Rand-Bonds. That results in our currency strengthening until such time that the additional increase have been catered for in the difference in yields/interest rates.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So basically the Rand strengthens due to the inflow of overseas currency buying bonds..?
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
Yep, and that will result in decreasing the potential yield for overseas investors and bring us back to the real rate differential.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Got it,thanks.
0 Kudos
ABuzz
Super Contributor
The recent strengthening of the Rand was also caused by the Standard Bank deal, i.e. them selling off 20% to the chinese (i.e. increased demand for Rand over Dollar). However, this deal is not going to bring in the $ 5,5 billion into this country as it is being transacted offshore, so this could see the reversal of some of the recent gains. Although there are too many other factors, so one can't just predict the direction based on just one factor.
0 Kudos