Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

day trading vs. buy and hold

john_1
Super Contributor
Thats Fighting talk Jezabel. I like it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja Jezebel....that kind of statement comes from one of two kinds of people...failed traders or people who have never traded before....I would rather be asking what kind of respect anyone who sells their time and labour to someone else has esp when that labour is resold and leveraged many times over... you are rightabout bragging about it though...I think it is the most amazing thing in the world to be able to sit here and consistenly make 3 X what most earn before lunch time...see we dont like bragging
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I meant to say in a day
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Er... and wasn't it Trader Vic who was telling punters to run up their bonds and buy retail shares just before those shares had a MASSIVE tank May last year?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Those who listened to him them certainly know a lot about candles now. They use them every night to light up the inside of their card board boxes.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Speaking of cardboard boxes, when do you get to unpack yours.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Middle of this month I hope - we're now in my mother's garden cottage and if I have to keep dealing with her on a day to day basis I'm gonna commit matricide.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
hmmm, have a look at what retailers have doen since May last year (considering all of the efforts from Tito), actually some very surprising gains (and some nasty losses - JD).
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Ya Simon, but how many held them through the tank. Probably borrowed, bought high, panicked, and then sold low.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya well that's the risk of listenign to guru's.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Sounds like an early inheritance plan to me...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Can't tell if it's bragging or not until I hear what you think most people are earning before lunchtime. Losses immediately forgotten, are they?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hey Jezabel.. the priest at my wedding gave me a piece of advice, for a marrige to work you need 2 things. A short memory and a sence of humor. I know the same applies to trading.. trust me you never forget the losses and if they keep happenning the humor is the first to go.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Jezebel...no the losses are not easily forgotten...I make them every day and they serve as reminder that you an lose money...the point is the losses are a few hundred rand and the profits are a few thousand rand a day.....I remember my losses and are thankful for them....when I dont make any I worry...my daily trades re open to anyone....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Jezebel...no the losses are not easily forgotten...I make them every day and they serve as reminder that you can lose money...the point is the losses are a few hundred rand and the profits are a few thousand rand a day.....I remember my losses and are thankful for them....when I dont make any I worry...my daily trades re open to anyone....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
by the way ever asked trader Vic what he's worth...the last time I checked he was still churning out words at a few cents per word...yes thats how editors are paid...they sell their words (sometimes by the page, sometimes by the word...sometimes they just get paid for their time at say R 150 per hour (very generous)....thats pathetic...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John, my sunshine, your priest was right. Chartist, my sweet, I have to get back to selling my time and labour now. Guess I've lost your respect, huh?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
nope...in any case my respect is totally irrelvant/useless...as long as you have your own...
0 Kudos
Major
Regular Contributor
The day I stopped trading, was the day the profits really started to roll in. This year I've brought once, and my buy & hold account is up >50%. In the meantime my trading account, with 15 trades, is down 80%. Lesson? I suck at trading but am much better at sitting around watching boring companies make decent profits.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Making the decision to trade for a living is an investment decision in itself. We all do something with our time for money, and we all invest some of the money we earn from our time in some kind of product for a long term return over inflation. As long as we maximise our income and our investment returns. Surely the day-traders have fixed investments too?
0 Kudos