Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

days like today that make it all worthwile

Not applicable
The easiest money you will make on the day trading market. Big gaps determine direction, so the short trade was on all the way. 280pts in 1.5 hours. lost 30 pts at the FTSE opening, because my strategy is always to treat a FTSE gap with caution. Decided to take my profits at 28150 and get on with my real job.
0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
kwagga
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Very nice but down close to 1000 points today!
0 Kudos
earlyret
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
700, if you exclude the gap, which is not tradable unless you were short overnight. But your point is taken, I got less than half of it. I generally trade mornings only - today was a case in point. It took 1.5 hours to generate the first 300 points. It took another 4.5 hours to generate the next 150. That is a loooonngggg time to sit in front of a computer screen. And then wall street opening accounted for the remaining 250 points. I could chose to trade after 3pm again, but wall street opening changes the flavour of the day - which I find difficult to create systems for. By this I mean that market sentiment remains more or less constant until the dow opens, and then sentiment takes a new turn - which could be in any direction. Today would have been worth it - but I want to be out the office by then.
0 Kudos
koos2
Super Contributor
Nice trading. All those stops got slammed! more downside today, yesterday confirmed it.
0 Kudos
Flyguy
Frequent Contributor
But if the points go down don't you loose money? I dont do alsi. Just curious
0 Kudos
Not applicable
well, the point of day trading is not to have pre-conceived ideas. We will soon find out how optimistic / pessimistic everyone is feeling.
0 Kudos
Flyguy
Frequent Contributor
looks like shes starting to pick up skaap..
0 Kudos
Flyguy
Frequent Contributor
My bad, looks like Gil came tumbling after Jack... wonder how much more downside before she will pick up
0 Kudos
Not applicable
With the ALSI, you can make money both ways. Going LONG or SHORT.
0 Kudos
Flyguy
Frequent Contributor
Im still confused. can you please brief me?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If you think that the market will go down, then you SHORT the market and LONG if you think that the market will go up. There are several platforms that can trade this on, but I don't trade the ALSI on STANDARD Bank's platform, so I hope that someone else could come in here. Hope it helps
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Skaap, Simon suggested in the stoploss webinar that it is better to be stopped out rather than exit at targets.What do you think, because you could have placed a stop at your target and you win both ways?Anyway,gap today almost closed
0 Kudos
Flyguy
Frequent Contributor
Thanks VDWALTME, appreciate it. I dont think StandardBank platform has the option to short the market.. I cant see it on the trade page.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think they do. Hopefully Simon can add his 2 cents
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I take profits. I have spend years modelling systems in my spare time, and have never found a trailing stoploss system that consistently beats taking profits at a set percentage level. What I can say though,is that this only works with discretionary trading. You have to have a lot of entry signals, to enable you to get back into the trade again. Read Van Tharp for more on such a system
0 Kudos
GGG
Contributor
What platform do you guys trade the ALSI on?
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
You can use DWT or IGmarkets.....I use IG as their platform is very very good with excellent charting and features
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Standard Bank.Point taken Skaap,trade your own system....
0 Kudos