Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

dividends

olilau
Frequent Contributor
hi all am new to the investment scene and only have rudimentary knowledge on shares, so yes, i am taking the advice of many forumites who advise "read, read, read". can anyone tell me how the dividend policy works ? my understanding is that unless stated expressly to the contrary, shares are always sold "cum div", ie if i buy shares on the 27 feb and on 28 feb divs are declared, i am entitled to the entire dividend ? also, as a longterm investment i bought some STX40's when they were low. a dividend already got paid out, but how does that particular one (being basically an index) get calculated ? thanks in advance for help.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable
well as long as you holding it on the last day to trade (LDT it's under key market statistics) you get the full amount. They usually declare a week or two before the LDT and then it's another odd week or so before they actually pay.
0 Kudos
olilau
Frequent Contributor
hmm. so if one buys a share a day before LDT, that would be ideal in theory. surely this must effect share price ?
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
You will find that the share price drops on day LDT+1 with the same amount as the declared dividend.
0 Kudos
KVW
Super Contributor
Usually the share price drops the next day by the same amount the Div paid. Look at WES a classic example where people lost a lot of money.
0 Kudos