Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

dream

Porshe
Contributor
hi i am a real dreamer trying to achieve couple of thing sand some financial freedom as well.i have been trying to read the info but man most of the time i am really lost but i am learning slowly.
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
richardw
Super Contributor
Welcome. Best place to start is probably the courses Standard Bank offers.
0 Kudos
Porshe
Contributor
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Read Read Read, attend OST courses, paper trade and start with small positions. Don't rush.......this will take years
0 Kudos
Porshe
Contributor
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
and dont forget that school fees are unavoidable, the market will claim its fee sooner or later.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
In retrospect... derivative Trading taught me how stupid I WAS. And I encourage newbies to take the derivative test. as it made me a better person. PS you need to be "financial free" and a good poker player to be a successful trader..
0 Kudos
Porshe
Contributor
honestly,can an average person make money in the market
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
I agree. Derivatives slapped me around and showed me how ignorant I was. Had I not taken losses and been forced to learn I prob wouldnt have. Yes the average person can make money in the market. You question should be what kind of trading you are looking todo. Long term vs short term. Id say making money short term trading is very hard if you dont have time to keep in touch with the markets. Longer term if you understand the fundamentals and are not using leverage you can build wealth gradually. And maybe even learn to spell. Damn my spelling is shocking. THis forum needs a spell check :) - P
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yes, Even an average person can make money here. Sometimes it is like a game of luck as moosedawg says. Even a baby can rondomly pick a wining share for the month. But be warned, without knowlege, you will be like a blind tourist in the bush trying to get somewhere. so study and study more.
0 Kudos
TOPIX
Regular Contributor
You want an honest answer - No. An average person cannot perform medical operations succesfully. An average person cannot succesfully defend or prosecute in a court of law. An average person cannot start and run a business succesfully. An average person cannot ..... you get the drift. The average person wants to be led, to be instructed, to be told what to do. They will never make money on the stock market. Only people who have studied hard and mastered the required techniques will be able to make money on the stock market.
0 Kudos
Maddog
Regular Contributor
An average disciplined person can make money the key word is discipline with no emotions atached be prepared to loose money before you make some.........its called schoiol fees for a reason as it teaches discipline
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hey there Porshe, well done - Getting on th eforum is the first step. For me Financial Freedom means that I am not bound to my PC watching trades on a 5 sec basis. For me its having a good solid share portfolio that works even when I am on the beach. Good solid high dividend yielding shares, with good capital growth over my 25 year investment period. So unlike loads on this forum, its all about long term patience linked to (IMO) Solid stock selection. Then having the patience to watch the re-invested dividends compound me up the ladder towards Financial Freedom Nirvana - Try & talk to Werner, RichardW, LouisG et al - they will help you. Its certainly less costly to buy shares than trade CFD's Warrants etc
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hey there Porshe, well done - Getting on th eforum is the first step. For me Financial Freedom means that I am not bound to my PC watching trades on a 5 sec basis. For me its having a good solid share portfolio that works even when I am on the beach. Good solid high dividend yielding shares, with good capital growth over my 25 year investment period. So unlike loads on this forum, its all about long term patience linked to (IMO) Solid stock selection. Then having the patience to watch the re-invested dividends compound me up the ladder towards Financial Freedom Nirvana - Try & talk to Werner, RichardW, LouisG et al - they will help you. Its certainly less costly to buy shares than trade CFD's Warrants etc
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
living in STUTTER-HEIM leads to multiple posts :-)
0 Kudos
Jim_Bean
Regular Contributor
Hey Porshe, welcome - I've been on OST for about 18 months, the forum is very helpful and there are many contributors who will share their knowledge and experience. All the above posts are great advice, use it. My 2 cent of advice is that the hardest part is sitting on the sidelines while you are reading, learning and watching ... Take the time to get to grips with the basics it will be time well spend in the long run. Good luck!
0 Kudos
Porshe
Contributor
thanks,theres lot of brain here
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Good luck Porsche, you're in good company....all of us traders are really dreamers at heart....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
TOPIX is quite correct,.. You may own a Porsche, but can you get a decent qualifying time at Kyalami given the opportunity!?,..
0 Kudos