Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

easytrader

pierren
Occasional Contributor
After 5 years of long term trading I decided to trade on a short term basis -anything from minutes to 5 days --and subscribed to easytrader --the platform has so many faults that it is dangerous to try to trade on it -has anybody else had problems with easeytrader and could hopefully recommend a better platform- I telephoned the call center and after the call center person tried to use easytrader and discovered the faults for himself, I was told that the platform was "a work in progress ". -Why should I pay for a "work in progress" by way of monthly payments to Standard Bank and loss of trades which I could have made on a platform that actually worked .---I will be more than happy to outline exactly what problems I encountered if anybody else has problems with the platform and perhaps we can get Std Bank to do something about it. Pierre
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Rams
Super Contributor
I have given up trading on Easytrader long ago....Just view charts on Easytrader....trade of the sites trade page
0 Kudos
pierren
Occasional Contributor
thanks for the reply Rams -nice to know somebody else has the same experience.
0 Kudos
Steenbok
Frequent Visitor
Hi Pierre and Rams. This is a huge worry for me as a newbie to trading, falling in traps/faults I donÂ’t even know exists. Could you list the errors youÂ’ve noticed or how can I reach you to discuss your concerns in more detail?
0 Kudos
dust
Occasional Contributor
I use OST for Long & Med term investment and IG for day swing and short trading work good for me.
0 Kudos
pierren
Occasional Contributor
Thanks -- I will look at IG
0 Kudos
pierren
Occasional Contributor
Hallo Steenbok. The main Std Bank trading site is fine ( I have used it for five years ). But it looks as if Easytrader is either a platform that they do not maintain properly or it is deemed not cost effective for them to fix up the "bugs" The main problems that I have encountered are ;- (in order of importance ), 1. when you activate the "order widget " the drop down box where you select your account is empty at least 50% of the time. I have two accounts but selecting the drop down box does not bring up either of the accounts - so you end up not being able to trade at all. 2. the "details" of the order widget do not update if you change the name of the share you are buying (and yes I do press the update button) 3, if you do not work on the platform for an unspecified time (they have not able to tell me how long-- and there is warning that it is going to stop updating ) the prices stop updating - the first time this happened I thought the market was just slow and selected the bid and ask widget for TBS - THAT STARTED UPDATING - while the rest of the prices did not update-- the end result is that if you are not careful you end up with half of the prices updating and half not updating ----Wonderfull --you end up looking at completely incorrect prices until until you exit easeytrader completely (and lose any information or lines that you have placed on your charts). 4. If you do get the order ticket to give you an account to trade from there are no defaults filled into the dropdown boxes- the result is that you spend so much time making your selections and trying to get rid of the only default option that is there ("do you want an order confirmation" ) that you end up losing any price advantage that you have identified and probably abandon the trade you wanted to make . Regards Pierre
0 Kudos
Vypir
Contributor
I also use Easytrader only for the charts - although they throw away all but one indicator every time I save and close it. Has anyone looked at FNB's Stock Broker application? I think the trading fees are higher at FNB, but maybe the software is better...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yeah I have been using OST for many many years and this site has stayed the same since. It is just recently all these bug and none of them get fixed. Maybe it is because they been focusing on mobile. Anyways, At this stage I would be prepared to pay more for a working more stable site. I have never tried anyone else. now I got to use I.E as OST doesn't work in chrome. I trade mainly CFDS though but need live pricing live our easy trader. How does the rest compare?
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
I use chrome and don't have a problem.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Short term trading exponentially more difficult that long term trading. In fact there is almost no comparison. If you're serious about short term\day trading the forget about Easytrader. Download Swordfish for free and open an account with DWT securities. They charge a very competitive trading fee.
0 Kudos
pierren
Occasional Contributor
Thanks kwagga I will look at Swordfish and GWT. I have also looked at Velocity trading -their platform seems to be incredibly fast compared to what I am used to and can be customised to an incredible degree ( I have been told by one of the brokers at 'TheMarket "(see link below ) that they only offer equities on the first 100 shares on the JSE (by market cap ) -which is more than enough for me because of liquidity and spread concerns ) , fees are 0.3% on equities and less on cfd (I think 0.2% ) at https://za.velocitytrade.com/TheMarket . Regards Pierre
0 Kudos
pierren
Occasional Contributor
Thanks kwagga I will look at Swordfish and GWT. I have also looked at Velocity trading -their platform seems to be incredibly fast compared to what I am used to and can be customised to an incredible degree ( I have been told by one of the brokers at 'TheMarket "(see link below ) that they only offer equities on the first 100 shares on the JSE (by market cap ) -which is more than enough for me because of liquidity and spread concerns ) , fees are 0.3% on equities and less on cfd (I think 0.2% ) at https://za.velocitytrade.com/TheMarket . Regards Pierre
0 Kudos