Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

emigrating and trading the jse

asylum
Super Contributor
i will be emigrating to france in the near future and was wondering if i could still trade the jse from that side, any platforms in france that anyone knows, or would it be better to just keep my money on this site and let sbk put my profits in a French bank acc, dont know if thats viable. any info would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Interesting, question, i would like to know the answer as well... I know that some of the large investment banks in USA has the possibility to trade on most of the world's markets, but i dont know if this is open to the standard investor, i know hedge funds can get that service... I think the easiest would be to keep this account, but i am thinking SARS might not like it when you try to take money over to France... dont know though... if its held offshore there shouldnt be a problem with that. Let me know if you find anything out... its quite interesting to know...
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
asylum, are you going to become a french citizen, or permanent resident or remain a south african living in France more than 181 days a year?. It would be easier maybe to address this situation if one knows that.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
hi i have dual nationality, so yes iam a French citizen and will relocate on a permanent basis.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Why not open an account with IG? You can easily trade the JSE and the R/$ from this platform from anywhere in the world. Your cash is held in $ or Pounds in the UK and never leaves the UK shore so no tax in SA if you are an EU citizen, which you are.
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
my guess is that if you are no longer resident then you cannot trade as a resident but no reason you cannot trade as a forei
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
my guess is that if you are no longer resident then you cannot trade as a resident but no reason you cannot trade as a forei
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
sorry got hiccup.basically believe you can carry on but authorities sars will need to be informed-not sure if any advanatages or disadvantages.I trade in UK and in SA-used to be able to claim allowances on both sides but   Sa put stop to that as I declare allincome to SA-uk and thetoo small to matter to anyone.  The and
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
sorry got hiccup.basically believe you can carry on but authorities sars will need to be informed-not sure if any advanatages or disadvantages.I trade in UK and in SA-used to be able to claim allowances on both sides but   Sa put stop to that as I declare allincome to SA-uk and thetoo small to matter to anyone.  The and
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
I think there are probably quite a few of us trading on the JSE from overseas. In your case I would keep the money or at least some of it in RSA. (No harm in currencies with historic safety record -for what its worth!!) There is money to be made in our "emerging market" and what is more in your favour is that you are familiar with the shares and companies on JSE. As foreigner there might be tax treaty between RSA and France (not sure) where you can get tax relief for taxes paid in RSA. Moving money legally to France should be no problem. Good luck to you and family.
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Keep trading and for sure keep posting on the forum. Enjoyed your inputs.
0 Kudos
NickW
Not applicable
Not sure if this may be of any help. It deals more with the tax issues than perhaps what you may be after. http://www.moneywebtax.co.za/moneywebtax/view/moneywebtax/en/page260?oid=46683&sn=Detail
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Keep an SA exposure with SBK and open another account that side. Test the system there. With time u might realize it's better to transfer most of your capital in France.
0 Kudos