Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

gold below $900

Not applicable
if gold closes below this evening, I think we are going to see an exit from the gold miners. Analyst target prices for ANG (R303), Harmony (R107) were pegged at $900 per ounce, so I think the fear of a consolidation below 900 should be sufficient to push these prices downward. IMO only of course
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
barry_1
Super Contributor
DRD costs for the December quarter in dollars per oz are $654(taken from their interim report.)down from their Sept quarter of $755 per oz....i expect IN MY OPINION ONLY that the gold price is likely to start to rise by Thursday again.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Gold demand in 2009 is around 30% driven by ETF's. in 2008, ETF's accounted for around 10%. So we can expect a lot more volatility. My question is, what happens to the physical gold, when someone unwinds their ETF position. Do the market makers sell the physical?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
$890 the ascending resistance line on the weekly chart.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Looking at the charts again,seems as if there is going to be a side ways movement for some time before the next climb in price.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
How is your R3000 gold price,and R300 Goldfields share price coming along Mr.Roffey????
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
R3000 gold price? Trading at R9282 last time I checked. I think the key you were looking for was shift 4.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Don't know about sideways barry, I am worried about what happens when ETF's unwind their position and dump the physical back on hte market. This will suddenly lead to massive oversupply. If ETF's can't keep their levels, then things are going to look pretty bad for gold, IMO
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
here's the thing... GLD supposedly added 48 tonnes last month???? Hello? Where in the universe did they get 48 tonnes of AU physically delivered to any vault, anywhere? It's a ponzi scheme boeta, you're holding a paper promise to deliver AU that is simply not there
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Are you referring to our GLD (Newgold), or the GLD that trades on the NYSE (SPDR Gold Shares), or both?
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
NYSE, I don't think the entire SA can buy 48 tonnes of the stuff, the ZAR is too pathetic for that :-)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nova, GLD did not add 48 tonnes, they moved 48 tonnes .. check the sens ..
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
ah, sorry, my mistake, you're right, I retract my claim
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
Real sharp Mr.Shard.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Nova, ETF demand forecast for the year is supposed to account for around 1300 tonnes of physical, so 48 doesn't seem like such a high number? But it does answer my question somewhat, they do move physical in and out of hte market
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
and s***** recycling in 08 was something like 1250 tonnes .. likely to be more this year, this is one of the ignored problems .. pretty much all gold ever mined is still around and when price rallies it comes out of the woodwork and back onto the market ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon - that language - how could you!?! Now go ahead and ban yourself from the forum...
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
Excerpt from Casey's Report: The precious metals took one to the chin again yesterday, with no sharp moves but just a steady price erosion. While a dollar that slipped against the euro might have been supportive, retreating crude played against the metals, and an irrationally exuberant flood of money into equities likely drained enthusiasm as well. And gold is battling a jewelry slump. "The Gold and Jewelry Group in Abu Dhabi has said that gold sales there slumped in January and February by 70% year-on-year," Commerzbank analysts said. "While the group assumes that demand will pick up again if gold prices decline further, this could take several months more given the economic climate." Technicians were quick to jump on the day's action, as they believe it important that gold has fallen beneath its 50-day moving average, which it had not done so far this year. That is a bearish signal, in their opinion, and sets up a test to see whether gold can recapture and hold the m.a. in the next few days. If not, the bears are calling for a prolongation and deepening of the downturn that's been in place since the metal broke past $1,000/oz. just over two weeks ago. "Gold is under pressure as money flows back into the broader market," according to Kevin Kerr, editor of Global Commodities Alert. In addition, Kerr said, "It seems that for the moment the inflation fears and systemic risk fears are starting to diminish and investors who have access to funds are starting to see opportunities in the other commodities as well as equities." But looking ahead, Kerr noted that, "Inflation remains a major problem down the road and all of this stimulus and printing of money is going to exacerbate it," creating the strongest possible conditions for a prolonged gold bull market.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
AU has touched the $890 ascending line and bounced up. So far so good. Good long opportunities if it climbs from here - good shorts below that line.
0 Kudos