Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

gold index = worst preformer last 12 months

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
Brazen
Super Contributor
Where's that godamned poster I asked for?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
err poster not being produced as I type .
0 Kudos
Not applicable
C'mon, dude, she needs somethin to replace her fading David Hasselhof poster.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
interesting article, but from a TA perspective, I dont see the point of the post. is it maybe to knock trading in gold shares? if so, while year to year the return was negliagable (sp?), from a trading point of view, there was a lot of volatility (as the article correctly states at the end). dont get me wrong, i am not a die hard gold bull (platinum is still much better), but I do think we should be careful not to use articles like this as a means to justify or disqualify future trading. But then, I am sure that is not what you meant by the post, Simon! :) Price is paramount, and if it seems the trend is in your favour and you have an edge, go with it. If there are better edges elsewhere, then that is good too.
as for me, some of the gold shares look to be coming out of their short term bear trends, so may form new bullish trend. will i be correct? no one really knows, least of all i! but so long as I have truly accepted the risk in each trade, then that is fine.
would I invest in a gold share? probably never! but trade em, for sure, if their is an edge.
anyhow, just some ramblings of mine.. adds to the debate! :)
0 Kudos
el_torro
Regular Contributor
ONE OF THE REASONS I'VE BEEN SHORT ON GOLD FOR A WHILE...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
No surprises there, Simon but you already knew that. It could be argued by some sitting in Knysna that this is a good reason to buy. But looking at the gold index it has very convicingly broken out of its bearish triangle on the upside I expect good gains over the short term.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Kr!pto hits the nail on the head. Long term gold share holding - well who knows, but odds are you could do better holding many other TOP40 shares. But when it comes to SSFs I need a quick 6% move to make it worthwhile. When it comes to rapid 6% moves, you can't beat the resources, including the gold shares.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well yes kr!pto you are correct, the volatility over the last year made for lots of trading opportunities, but it certainly wasn't the easy money. The easy money is finding something with a nice clear and strong trend and hoping on that trend (such as top40). = reason 1 for post.

reason 2 is that many claim gold (and one supposes hence also gold stocks) is/are going to the moon, but there seems to be a problem on the launch pad.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
And I'm not really a gold bull. After Astral and Rainbow I'm thinking of becoming a chicken bull.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
a chicken bull what's that? low qulaity bully beef with chicken mixed in?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Its fillet with the wings attached.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
i prefer "childlike", is far more euphamistic!
so long as it's not chicken little. ow, what was that!
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
thanks, would have to agree with you on that second point. gold seems to get in under some ppls skin and they become a gold bull for life. maybe we need to find a way to get those gold teeth and fillings back in business, should improve demand somewhat me thinks!
0 Kudos
GL
Contributor
Ja - those two have done well for me. Pity rainbow being taken off the JSE.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
sounds like a jessica simpson impersonation. is tuna chicken or fish?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
0 Kudos