Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

grindrod/remgro

olilau
Frequent Contributor
i am trying to get my head around the true motivation for the deal, the different scenarios on existing shareholders, effect on share price etc. what is everyones thoughts on this ? and why would i want to buy the share in the proportinate offering @ R15 when the share is currently trading at a value lower than that ?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable
check out OST's recent report on the matter. I think it sums it up the situation and expected price action pretty well.
0 Kudos
olilau
Frequent Contributor
thanks skaaptjop - i have read it and while i agree with the fundamental analysis.... it is not difficult, but obvious that grindrod shareprice profited from spiked earnings on their IVS and other biz in the boom time a few years ago and that prior to that the share price mirrored their NAV, as it does now. the remgro offer does not change this very much. yes, EPS is adversely affected because earnings have not changed with the injection of capital and resultant increase of shares in circulation (yet?) but NAV per share increases somewhat as a result also. it comes down to exactly why they want the capital and if their rationale and ultimate utilisation of the cash is sound and that the funds are not a veiled bailout of a troubled gearing scenario. confidence and forecast thusfar has consistently been buy/hold. shipping in general is a troubled affair right now, everywhere. this is nothing new and cycles will by definition re[eat themselves. but gnd is no venture cap company. surely longterm the view must be hold. else one may want to divest altogether from the markets.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
As an investor, I like to buy extreme price or extreme momentum (with fundamental support). For GND, I would want to be buying on those days when the price drops by 5 or 6%. Right now, I would pick up GND on anything below R12 per share. My problem with GND is that their diversification strategy is great and all - but the margins on their new industries are dwindling - which is not a great sign. So it falls right back to shipping again - whether they like it or not
0 Kudos
olilau
Frequent Contributor
i would tend to agree with that.
0 Kudos