Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

help on gold coins

olilau
Frequent Contributor
hi all this sounds like a james bond movie, i know, but i know someone who has some gold coins lying in a swiss bank deposit box. he wants to bring them back into SA. there is no dicy background. it is a german family who have been in and out of south africa for decades and have given their kids and grandkids gold coins (kruger rands etc) for their baptisms, communion etc. the connection to switzerland was that there were several companies domiciled there which have been liquidated a few years ago. the fees for the deposit box are exhorbitant, hence the wish to take the coins back to SA where this gentleman currently lives. (and where the kids/grandkids are currently living) what type of concerns can anyone raise (if any) for just taking these coins back in on his next flight in ?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Not applicable
Whooooo, this sounds a bit fishy. Nigerian scam? WWII hidden gold coin maybe?
0 Kudos
sasa
Regular Contributor
Were the coins declared on the way out? Probably not - I'm no expert but recall that there is a limit of ~R10 000 (?) on valuabes, foreign currency etc that should be declared when entering. Or put them in his wallet and act normal!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You need a permit and it will need to be declared on entry. Its alot easier to just leave them in Switzerland.
0 Kudos
olilau
Frequent Contributor
i repeat - this is NOT fishy. the coins were not taken out all in one go, they were given as bona fide presents here and there. as this family has several residences around the world, the coins followed them around. they are now in switzerland and he wants to take them back here simply because he wants to close the swiss deposit box.
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
find someone who has some here who would rather have them overseas in a deposit box. Organise a swap :) Exchange controls are damn criminal. People should be free todo with their assets what they want
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Best is to sell those coins in Switzerland and buy Krugers with the proceeds here, simple.
0 Kudos