Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

hihohiho

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
am back, an I see Topi closed at 18 month high on friday ..
0 Kudos
26 REPLIES 26
AJT
Super Contributor
Welcome back Simon, what is your feeling on the markets for 2010..
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Big Brother is back! Yes.it sits on the 61.8% of the recession.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Welcome back Simon. Hope 2010 is a good one!!
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Welcome back to the grindstone. Hope you had a good one. Looking forward to your insight of what today will bring!
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Hey Jack..what present did u get for Orthodox Christmas.Russian bride?? :)
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Welcome back Simon PB. Hope 2010 is a goodie.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Already got one, My son got his first tooth on New Year, Xmas we sent our NORMAL weather to Europe. hahaha. Now the wife wants to move to SA.
0 Kudos
og
Frequent Contributor
Yes Simon, compliments of the season - maybe you should go away more often lol
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Welcome back, we were well behaved . . .
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, welcome back. And in light of a good article I have read recently I am adopting a new motto for 2010,

"Its not the cost per trade, its the profit per trade!"

Thanks to mr Raymond Ackerman (orriginal statement "Its not the cost per square meter that matters, its the profit per square meter that matters" ) ;-)
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Good day Mr Brown. Had in interesting email this morning from the man at BOE managing my portfolio. Says he want to lighten my exposure to equities, which is 70% at the moment, as they are expecting a pullback. . . . I agreed.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Of course that should be 'wants' not 'want'. I have not turned into a cretin.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an of course he has a credit bill coming in the post which needs paying .. Q is, did he significantly increase your exposure in Mar 2009 after having reduced it in 2008 ??
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Did he f***. And I would love to not have him involved, sadly other trustees not keen for me to have sole control. Cretins. That aside, the recovery last year was great, and I do think the risk of downside is higher now than the possibility of too much more upside. Don't think we're gonna see another 40% this year - so happy to take some profits now. Still have a lot of exposure to the market.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya always the case .. as we move higher risks increase .. as we move lower risks decrease .. that said me thinks a green year, but modest green .. topi maybe 10-15% for the year ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Financial advisors do not usually get paid for switching your portfolio to a more conservative one or the other way round. With a linked product it is likely he/she will get about half a percent a year of your portfolio value so it pays an advisor to get you the best returns
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
depends on how it is structured .. but somebody pays the brokerage ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
When Brazen said he had a 70% exposure to equities it sounded like a unit trust portfolio, but perhaps the BOE man has a share portfolio for Brazen and buys money market etc as well for Brazen. But when I was financial advisor for Old Mutual and Standard Bank unit trusts I did not get anything for switching for clients if it is a unit trust portfolio
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Hey Simon. Good you are back 'cause 2010 is the year you will become a Gold Bull, right? There's hope!
0 Kudos