Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

how many shares to watch

krust
Occasional Contributor
New to forum. Firstly, can anyone please share their experience on what number of shares can one realistically watch, and secondly, how do you pick the best ones ?
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Not applicable
From the Trader's Kitchen:Stick to Blue Chips.They have Volume.You need Volume to get in and out....and now my lovely assistant will add some Spices ( SSFs,CFDs, Warrants.) for the more adventurous palate. Mmmmm...an acquired taste( as in EXPERIENCED traders only.)## All the best now.
0 Kudos
Enzed
Frequent Contributor
Minimum 5 maximum 10. At least R20000 per share, more if possible to reduce brokerage - normal investing - excl cfd's, ssf's etc. Best shares - to start with -take careful note of OST's Buy recommendations.Also check out Consensus recommendations under "Buy and Sell Ideas" see LH side of screen. Read the Research reports for shares on each major share screen on this website. Watch StockWatch on Summit TV at 19h30 - Mon to Thursday and listen to JSE talk on Classic FM Tuesday nights between 19h00 and 20h00. read Finance Week. Attend the OST Training Courses.Good luck.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Its neigh impossible to watch them all, even if you have them in your watchlist. Try to get a good understanding of the sectors first, then maybe find shares that you understand in sectors that you like. Remember that owning a share is a responsibility, both to yourself and the company. If you dont understand what the company does, then maybe you shouldnt be buying - unless you are a technical chartist of course. Peter Lynch had thousands of shares in his Magellen Fund, but then he had a team looking after it. Still he saw lots of value everywhere. As a suggestion, have a look at the Moneyweb website and use the tools to see what the major unit trusts are buying and selling. That will give you an idea of what they like.
0 Kudos
koos2
Super Contributor
Avoid shares recommended by cheerleaders.
0 Kudos
krust
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for responses. Not a novice but battle with amount of choice. For example ACL broke out as posted on 12th Jan in this forum. I chart ACL but have not been watching it for a while ( cannot watch everything as per initial question ). Looking back, after seeing forum response, I see it broke my R trend line exactly as the person said. Question. Do you watch for forum posts because you cannot chart, or watch, everything ? Or is there another way ? From first post question. How do you know which are the best shares to watch i.e. high traded volumes as per one response ? or High volatility ? or something else ? Does one use one's share program to filter for different technical breakouts or crosses, etc. etc. ? I am trying to find out how successful traders' and or investors work the market. Has someone got a basic method they use that works ? Personally I have battled to find some strategy that works consistently. I either get in too late or get out too early ? Sorry for all the questions but am impressed with amount of help everyone appears to give.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
What works for me is setup a watchlist for each sector and include mostly traded in each sector. In that way you might have atleast 10 shares per sector
0 Kudos
3JN2
Frequent Contributor
There are 17 shares in my watchlist. I only look at volitile shares moving basically sideways between an upper and lower band. Be patient, wait for the shares to reach the bottom and upper levels you estasblish. Concentrate on a few shares, trade & get to know them really well. I trade mostly SOL, AMS & ANG.
0 Kudos
krust
Occasional Contributor
Thanks. Would you then trade the share, or SSFs, or warrants ? To enter a trade do you wait for a candlestick reversal, or what triggers your entry and exit ?
0 Kudos
3JN2
Frequent Contributor
Trade cfd's. Entry/Exit is complex. Combination of signals, events & where I expect share to go. Remember only really concentrating on a few shares that I know well.
0 Kudos
krust
Occasional Contributor
Can you make a living out of that, or do you do this as a hobby ?
0 Kudos
3JN2
Frequent Contributor
Hobby. Supplements retirement income. Slowly improving.
0 Kudos
BAP
Regular Contributor
3JN2 - How about a 'cheerleaders' opinion on the pullbacks of ANG and AMS yesterday & today? Buying opportunity or more downside to come?
0 Kudos
3JN2
Frequent Contributor
Will consider buying ANG below 300 & AMS below 700. I set my level & wait for market to come to me. Sometimes I miss out & have to wait for next round trip.
0 Kudos
krust
Occasional Contributor
In my opinion this is a fantastic hobby. If you have the time then wait for the cycle .... there always is a cycle !! .... in the big companies that is.
0 Kudos