Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

how much is a lot?

john_1
Super Contributor
If you could choose a number that if you had it in your bank account would mean you would be able to stop working or really change your life??
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Not applicable
R18m - will do it for me. Invested dividends at 5% about R900K a year. Will do nicely thank you. Problem is we as humans are designed to work, so boredom would mean that we take a few risks & lose it all.. Cest La Vie
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
John..a difficult question...I have been retired a year now and asked my pension advidor the same question...There is no answer, but I recon that you need USD 1.0 million in total assets to retire now if you live in SA (without debt/bonds and also have a pension that takes care of normal monthly expenses) and also have at least half a bar in Rands for contingecies. Your second part of the question....Another bar in Rands would change my life. I would be a little less conservative with respect to questioning my own affordability and splash out a bit with travel and other lekker things.
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
John..You would probably need to double your assets (i.e. 2 million USD if you wanted to stop working and live outside RSA). IMO
0 Kudos
Not applicable
bruberi - " thinking is the hardest work there is, that is probably the reason why so few engage in it".
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Well I guess part of the question also is how big are you willing to dream...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
R10m... Use R5m to buy investment properties and pretty much have the rentals with escalations as my fall back then stick the rest in various Allan Gray locl and offshore unit trusts...
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Some thoughts: Rather than ask the question "how big can I dream", I would rather answer how much do I need to be happy. I reckon I could happily live on an inflation adjusted salary of between 200 - 300K a year. Assuming a solid 3-4% dividend yield with a bit of backup in cash, I reckon i could happily retire on between 7 and 10 mill. That is assuming all debts have been paid off, and I dont need to purchase a house. I'd be happy with that. It all depends on what makes you happy. If happiness is achivied through work and asset gain, then you will never reach a goal, becuase the act of working, earning and growning makes you happy. If a goal of a set standard of living will make you happy, then you need to work to the goal and when realised you need to stop.
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
John, you tell me how long I am going to live and I will give you a figure.....
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
I stopped working 13 years ago>I had no debt owned 3 houses and had 3 million invested in equities-oviously equities have increased substantially since then-I still do not work-no boredom
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
If you're a genuine Geordie Lad, You must be nursing a helluva hangover after giving Villa six of the best.
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
Well really pleased for the lads but springboks loss was a bit hard to take-had a few drinks anyway so as usual had the hangover-drinking is constant but the reasons for it vary
0 Kudos
ms_moneybags
Contributor
Ireckon 20 million rands to retire omfortably.Safe to say i have to work a bit longer.Allan Gray doing a great job of assisting me to get to that target Also OST of course.....
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
For me the starting number would be 60 million rands,..I know thats a large amount but I am ok with it!
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor

Quote of the Day from www.tickertalk.co.za

J. Paul Getty "If you can count your money, you don't have a billion dollars."

0 Kudos