Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

how much to sell?

Not applicable
cut your LOSSES quick, and let your winners ride, but in my experience, taking some risk off the table before you get to target works quite well (pyramiding out) - At least with ALSI.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Must I open nominations again?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Mark Douglas calls it the winning attitude...reward yourself as the market makes money available to you....but the best trade is the risk free one.....bringing the stop loss to break-even and exiting somewhere at the top or (bottom if short).being too aggressive with the stop after break-even can cut profits.....
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
My calc on the above answer is 193600, but then again we went to different schools.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Horse....did you go to a school for ASSES.....i get 440...follow the posting more closely.anyway was superstar in your stable, you seem pretty fond of that lass
0 Kudos
J12
Frequent Contributor
I'm sure everyone here has a different strategy which works for them and you've already received good advice on developing an exit strategy before you buy or even when you buy. Most are from a trading viewpoint. I consider myself to be an investor, but I have previously held shares for a relatively short time period (less than a month). The reason for this is that my strategy to try and determine a fair price for a share. I buy when the price is significantly below the fair price and sell when the price is significantly above. During the period that I hold shares, I may have to revise the fair price I have calculated, but I usually sell all my shares when the go above my calculated exit price. You have to determine what level of risk you're comfortable with. If you're risk averse, you would probably sell all or most of your shares when they are at your exit price. If you're somwhere in between, you can lock in profits and hold on to the shares or pursue some strategy that involves selling part of your holding. If you're more risky or very optimistic about the share, then hold on to them for as long as you want.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
My apologies, as I calculated it at a gallop, now that I'm down to a canter, I erred, it's actually -63800.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
well, as is said, put in a sell for 2000, and there will always be an ASS to buy it for 63800...LOL
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
well if you insist so, then 638 000...
0 Kudos