Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

how to feed a family organic potatoes without a garden

john_1
Super Contributor
I know this is off the topic, but on a continent that has so many below the poverty line I recon this is an idea people should know about... Take a grain sack roll down the sides; fill it with 10cm of soil/compost. Soak the soil...Now place 3 eyed potatoes with the eye just above the ground. Do not water again until there are signs of growth...now as the plants grow keep adding soil no more than a 1/3 of the stem must be covered each time. Keep doing this until the bag is fully extended. To harvest simply empty the bag....the yield will be close to 100 potatoes per bag/ plant...all this in a space less than 40cmx40cm and no ground needed it can be down on concrete or paving.
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
YNWA
Super Contributor
Dude we need more posts like this...big up man....we use a similar concept at a creche for kids from destitute families...our system uses old car tyres that are stacked on top of each other when needed...advantages are they don't rot, don't have to be replaced, would end up in some landfill & most importantly, they hold water/moisture better...other veg grown at 2 tyre level as well....our one problem is theft by outsiders...like its there local Fruit & Veg City!!...man ó man...piece to you too amigo.Adios
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
ya the car tyre is the basis for this idea..except car tyres hold lots and lots of carsongenic substances, so you don't really want to put it close to were you grow your food if you can help it. Ya theft is always a problem, as will soil quality errotion but if you grow in one and create compost in another that should help.. As for the theft..my feeling is if people are actually able to feed their families and with this you trully can, then less theft of this kind will take place... be sure to pass this on to your staff and to the people asking for food at your door in fact tell everybody you meet.
0 Kudos
Copper
Regular Contributor
Great post John - we run a charity feeding scheme once in 3 months and tips like this are invaluable - keep them coming
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Johnny .it's a great idea and a great first move towards building wealth and a better lifestyle for the continent. I'm sure places like Dubai took your idea and transformed few barrels of oil into refineries and the places they are today. But before that the brain structure has to change and that will never happen.
0 Kudos
Copper
Regular Contributor
Africa needs a cultural revolution. The attitude of entitlement is very long in the tooth.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Wizard I am hardly trying to change Africa..I am just trying to help people feed their families. Prehaps if you help, by comunicating this concept, you will be surprized at peoples willingness to act when given the chance.
0 Kudos
IP
Not applicable
start a worm farm - www.fullcycle.co.za this will recycle the waste most people throw away to generate a nutrient rich soil for the spuds
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Ya I have seen these an intend buying one, but for the idea to work with my bagged spuds the cost of R1000 is just a bit much...like by about R999..so one has to come up with a way of farming worms using stuff that is thrown away... then we are in business.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Excellent post John. Ive been looking at intricate box designs to do the same. Are you sure that using the old tyre concept the carcogens will be taken up by the spud.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
no... but I would not eat my lunch of a pavement. As far as ease goes the bag has got to be easier...both to begin but to harvest as well..I am still growing my first crop so I am learning as I go.
0 Kudos
JDT
Regular Contributor
When can one plant spuds, any time of year?
0 Kudos
SkarlakenKoos
Frequent Contributor
This is the best advice I've ever received on this forum.... and you even guarantee a "return" on "investment"! :-)
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
www.wizzardworms.co.za have cheaper kits. Also comes with the worms. A cheaper source of the worms would be your local fishing tackle shop. Sold as red wrigglers, kariba, etc. All the same specie(s).
0 Kudos
Oom_Boom
Frequent Contributor
HEHEHEHE, I am thinking of planting something else.............
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
John, let us know how your harvest goes. I grew spuds all through summer, and my 1st crop was miserable. What a waste of soil. Apparently you harvest in winter, so giving another few months to check the second batch.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Saash give a bag a try and lets compare yields.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'd like to know what Oom Boom is planning to plant? :-)
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos