Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

i suppose...

asylum
Super Contributor
a lot of this rally is fuelled by short covering? yes/no?
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Brazen
Super Contributor
This can't all be short covering. It's a rally. And I thought the bull took the stairs!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
On Wednesday the US SEC banned "naked" short selling - not too much effect - presumably not too many people trade when naked. Yesterday evening the UK FSB banned all shorting of financial stocks - hence this morning jump on opening. This morning US time, the SEC banned all shorting of financial shares, hence this afternoon's activity. I'm willing to bet that those central bankers took long positions before issuing their banning edicts - I say throw them in jail for insider trading and let the market decide how much the pack of cards that is Wall Street is worth.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I wanted to say "bastard central bankers" but I was scared of Simon aka Net-nanny...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, would you like to add "bastard", or is that OK?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Seing as I'm talking to myself here, let me go on. (Tt's good therapy...) From money.cnn.com: "The commission is committed to using every weapon in its *****nal to combat market manipulation that threatens investors and capital markets," said SEC Chairman Christopher Cox. . He is referring to the short-sellers when he talks about "market manipulation" but the only people that are manipulating the markets are him and his cronies. The short-sellers were not trying to manipulate anything. They saw that Wall Street financial companies are worth less than their stock market valuations and made perfectly legal trades in order to profit from this insight and at the same time let the stock values more accurately reflect the values of the companies.
0 Kudos
MenuOption
Frequent Contributor
arsenal is now banned? cool. We should keep a list of cool banned words.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Not only does Mr Cox (apt surname - surprised it wasn't censored) manipulate the market, he also uses crude language that Net-nanny takes offense at...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Naked trading ??? "Its only when the tide goes out that you realise who was swimming without a costume" - Warren Buffet
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
YES, and the daily gap close on the DOW
0 Kudos