Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

iPhone and OST

PILOT_ROB
Contributor
Hi Guys. Sorry no posts lately - still in shock from my portfolio performance...! Have recently aquired an iPhone - which cannot log onto OST (error message : Invalid Request - Bad Header). Any guru's out there able to provide some insight and a potential solution to this. Other than that - AWESOME PHONE !!!!
0 Kudos
34 REPLIES 34
platsak
Super Contributor
Im looking at aquiring the new blackberry storm. Anyony have an opinion on blackberry's
0 Kudos
dilligaff
Super Contributor
They're awesome lightly liquidised over ice, with Stoli
Oh those Crackberry's - JAFP really :)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Pilot Rob, I have a Nokia N95 8G and have the same problem, same error. I can log into any other secure site including Standard Bank Internet Banking but OST just won't work. I realy hope somebody has a solution for us.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
i've also gt the iphone and i bought it for the sole reason of trading, thought it would be able to view price streamer but sadly it does not even log in to my acc.. please find solutions Simon or OST I.T guys
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it si browser/security issues .. on my SE P910i I used the opera mobile browaser and it worked fine ..
0 Kudos
Amar
Contributor
Simon I think the problem is that this site uses non standard security mechanisms, the devices mentioned in the posts above are generally fully standards compliant. The site used to work on the N95 until it was move the the securites.standardbank.co.za domain....(i.e the old scmb site used to work). The site also doesn't work with the google chrome browser, the excuse given at the time was that the browser is still in beta. Well the browser is now either out of beta or scheduled to be out of beta, and I have used the browser without hassle with other https websites...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
chrome is based on safari which is also what most mobile devices use .. hence does not work ..
0 Kudos
PILOT_ROB
Contributor
I hear what you saying Simon - but surely there is a way around this. If all cellphone users were able to access the site, trade more frequently, generate more brokerage......you know what I mean. We ahve no chance trying to get Apple to sort it out !! please help if possible.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well you buy an apple device - you buy into a locked down enviroment .. hence I got the E71 .. an yes I hear you, but it is not a simple issue, not even slightly and globally very very few people actually use their mobile to trade, the idea is wonderful - but the practise is not ..
0 Kudos
Amar
Contributor
Yes simon both chrome and the nokia browser are based on safari, which by the way is one of the most if not the most standards compliant browsers see http://www.dustindiaz.com/safari-is-now-the-most-standards-compliant-browser/ Thing is if you can show us 1 other site using https that doesn't work with these browsers then we could accept that the bug lies with the browser and not the website... I'm sure that if you get someone to investigate this issue it should be a simple configuration change on the OST webserver to fix this issue..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it's not configuration, it's websphere - which is the process (or whatever) we use .. an safari may be the most compliant - but how many people actually use it ??
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an here's a thought that everybody hates as it is decidely unsexy .. you wanna trade or prices from your mobile - easy - 0860 121 161 ..
0 Kudos
Amar
Contributor
Not debating the fact that hardly anyone uses it, don't use it either websphere is the web server, just think it may be a simple fix to the problem, not pretending to know exactly what the problem is....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Amar, the blogger (a Safari developer, spot the bias) called it the "most standards-compliant" browser because it passed the Acid2 test. Look at the details of the Acid2 test - it tests accurate rendering based on the HTML4, CSS1, PNG and data URL standards. It does not test HTTPS, which is needed to keep the link secure. Unfortunately, they don't advertise what doesn't work as well as they advertise what does.

Before you buy an expensive phone, check to see that it can do what you need. Be especially aware of Apple, because they make it difficult for you to load alternative software onto the phone. Also, consider a subnotebook (e.g. Asus EeePC) and cheap phone as an alternative to an expensive phone.
0 Kudos
Amar
Contributor
Lol, I'm not a safari developer/blogger or iphone owner. was just pointing out that the problem isn't actually with the browser...anyway moving on swiftly...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
not a simple fix, would require a whole new server architecture ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Used OST on my ancient N73 with both opera mini and opera mobile (yes there is a difference). The standard browser on most mobiles will pretty much send you in circles. Anyway point being both logged on fine, though it's not advised for trading, just for checking your portfolio. Advice : Check iPhone forums for any info on logging onto secure websites
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, not many ppl enjoy calling the 0860 121 161 due to the so many security questions, todays market is so volatile that in a matter of seconds prices move drastically. Will there be a solution for Safari (iPhone) users in the future and is there any mobile phone that can view price streamer? Another point Simon, i've been unable to trade online from last friday due to some technical fault, when i confirm a trade it logs of and takes me to the log in page, i phoned in to solve this issue but nothing has been done since last friday.
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Anyone know if the HTC tytn2 browser works assume it is IE mobile.
0 Kudos