Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

interims

partridge
Super Contributor
Everyone keeps asking "when are they going to use their money to buy good businesses at low values?" For one its not correct to say that the only thing they own is BTI - its tracking slowly down and is about 84% - they have spent and are committed since listing to EU1044M in investment. Secondly, the majority of their investments - apart from the EU 100M or so headed for CHINA( DESTINATION UNKNOWN) is very hedge fundish in style and positioning.( Its easy to see where the diamond tailings fit in.The correlation between investments currently held must be VERY LOW - low risk. So this is clearly setting a course for the present to become a "public( as opposed to private) equity offering" OR to describe it differently ( not used in good company) "a fund of funds"? I can't really think of a parity situation? Key things will be - what is the cost of investing - longer term. RUPERT and Co know that high management costs kill returns and to make this fly you have to offer real returns - G7 inflation + 3-5% ?? Other views?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
84% is still a massive majority of what they have an gonna take a whack to reduce that significantly ..
0 Kudos
el_nino
Contributor
Did they not investment a portion of their available funds in the US??? Trilinear or something like that. It was part of Lehman brothers if memory serves me correctly...
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I don't approve of the high management fees, so I'll pass on this one.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
Will they sell - or will they just hang in there and collect and reinvest the income? ( At least for the next 2 or so years??)If they were going to sell I THINK the last year would have been a pretty good time to unload - given the defensive nature of the stock. I 'gree on the management fees issue - the fees are typically what you would pay in a hedge fund - or close to it. So in the context of one's overall asset(s) allocation this is "a 5th asset class" methinks - much like a low correlating hedge fund invt in a balanced fund etc etc The latest sens spells out the investments - incl Trilinear.The MOST interesting ( for me )is the China investment - what will it be - agriculture/tech??
0 Kudos