Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

is MTN falling or just me misinterpretation

Mr_L_Mokgalaka
Occasional Contributor
Is it me or MTN falling down -- I put 57.56% of my shares on mid to long term investement but i seem to be losind as we speak, i.e. 17.5% down--- MTN took me 21.3% down, simmers & Jack took me 12.5% while AngloGold did relatively well with Implats folowing suits. Waht the h*ll is wrong/right wit MTN or did i just put my cash in a wrong joint at the right time for them? u tell me-0- dopnt tel me it's school fees, try sometjing esle solid
0 Kudos
42 REPLIES 42
richardw
Super Contributor
Wrong time. The market had been rising for a year. Some of us said it was priced for perfection - any little panic would take it down. Now you have a crisis in Europe...of course shares will drop. Nothing really to do with MTN specifically. Many good companies are dropping.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Switch off your tv and computer as Simon says, if you in for a long term then you should not worry. Markets overtime offer good returns, people are just panicking.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Twas the latest darling. There been many before. Many to come.
0 Kudos
Mr_L_Mokgalaka
Occasional Contributor
well said-- i noticed that Richie but me still had some hope that it would recover giving it some three weeks vut it never did-- 21% aint easy losing given the volume
0 Kudos
Mr_L_Mokgalaka
Occasional Contributor
Probably well said-- yet seeing is believing and not only does this apply to non-"future \beliervers/ non-investors" but also to us in this forum or should i say mondeoperando. it's time to sharpen ur axes and aim fir the fatest bull to bring down for ur own selfish kill
0 Kudos
manicks
Regular Contributor
Just hang on to it, MTN will recover, it is very cheap at this price good time to get in for those who haven't already done so. See futher downside but not more than 5-8%
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I hear you. What's done is done, so just clear it from your mind and choose the best action for today.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Longterm investments should have a stop loss in place Mr L cos even blue chips fall a lot further than you think they ever will. Just ask people who held stars like Didata and Nedbank. When you bought MTN did you have a cut off point? If so, just stick to it now.
0 Kudos
koos2
Super Contributor
Dude, you are talking bout trading, not long term investments. Long term 5-10 annum = no stop-loss. finish en klaar.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
That's crazy Koos. Even 10 years ain't gonna see you come back from a 90% loss.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Unless you buy for the divs. Then you don't care what the price does. If the price made sense when you bought, then just buy (much) more when it's 90% down. Obviously the trick is to have dry powder at the bottom.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Div argument is valid. 90% down buying good in theory, but how many were buying when the Dow was at its lows? No siree bob, most of the ****ers were selling. No stop loss on long term investments for Americans = Lost Decade. Interesting debate tho.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Totally agreed - most fully ignore divs and it's not a common strategy even though it must have been the basis for investing, originally. Why I like the div idea is that it focuses my mind on the company as a business, as if I earned a portion of a shop. What income will it give me? What chance it'll stop doing that? First prize (for me) is to find something at a stupid price I can buy and forget about. Crashes produce great prices because most of the time everything is bid too high.

Like MTN. Too expensive, still. Good for trading or capital appreciation, useless for income.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
err miz.brazen .. please not to repeat the ole horey .. neither Didata and Nedbank were ever blue chips ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Know how competitive you bankers are, but sure, NED was a blue chip in it's heyday. Every fund owned the thing. Agree, not Didata.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
er, begging pardons. That was me on wrong account. Confusing after mid morning drinks. And NED divis were da bomb in their day. Consistent and big. Blue Chip old boy.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
****sakes. I logged off, and logged on again. And still on wrong account. Must be your site.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
The future is, up VOD down MTN (OMO)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
This is me. I don't have anythin to say, only that this is really me. For real. Genuine
0 Kudos