Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

is MTN falling or just me misinterpretation

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
beiung owned by all doesn;t make you blue .. thing was that from about 97 ned earnings were fragile, making too much money from currency weaknes and ddt hholding .. that shhould have alerted anybody and then in 2000 the wheels fell off then they decided to pay a 195m bonus to directors coz ddt had done so well and majority of profit was from currency weakness and they paid a dividend and then had to do a rights issue .. and that was you're signal to exit, at about R130 ..
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Change account on drop down list on top of page. The change remains in effect even after you log off.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Agreed. Luabscher was a p**** of the first order. But I am talking pre that. Me old mom always had NED shares and as a kid I remember twice a year the divi would arrive. And we would have red meat and get shoes. . . but I digress, it was a good company, just a really long time ago. And that also proves my point - you can't hold things forever. Good companies sometimes go bad.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yip, good companies sometimes go bad .. for deacdes GM was the darling of US invvestors .. then bust ..
0 Kudos
Jim_Bean
Regular Contributor
Barry what have you been smoking? Have you heard about VOD's issues in the DRC, they have no clue about their long term strategy is ... Alan was the root cause of this!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Still one of the shares that I have chosen as a growth share in 2010.See Growth Shares under www.sashares2010.blogspot.com on page six.....When dealing with other countries its always difficult and some choices might cause difficulties such as MTN,s Nigeria or if there is trouble in the Iran as the sanctions have been tightened again.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Buy VOD if you want divi's. Buy MTN for long term growth, less divi's.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
MTN is trading below its 200 SMA/EMA and the MA is pointing down. Looks bearish to me.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
Said it before ,saying it again - over rated and over priced .They're looking a little desperate to do a deal,to maintain growth.This share worth around R85.OMO.
0 Kudos
manicks
Regular Contributor
How do you come to that evaluation of 85
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Hi Striker. IF they double their div (assume reduction in cover due to reduction in cap spend and moderate increase in HEPS) to 384c, then what would you value it at?
0 Kudos
Mr_L_Mokgalaka
Occasional Contributor
Yep, somehow true that. let them build in Iraq and come back fat
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Just heard from the grapevine that MTN lost 750 000 subscribers in SA in the last financial year. Wonder if they care.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
aside from the quality of grapes in sleeping hollow .. all are 'losing' tx to rica .. but really it is meaning less churn ..
0 Kudos
suki
Super Contributor
i hope u are all watching the action.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Apparently this was from people being messed around with by the billing problems, etc. MTN is also not geared to the big business subscriber. The chop at the agency doesn't seem to have an idea of how to handle bid business orders and puts the customer through to head office who doesn't seem to have a clue either. Dealt with this when trying to sort out data contracts a my prvious job. Got a much more professional approach from vodacom (and I've got 2 MTN contracts myself).
0 Kudos
suki
Super Contributor
the Billing system is in the procees of change. the MD personally met with IBM to help solve the problem
0 Kudos