Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

manipulation on mtx

annie3
Frequent Contributor
prices being driven down so damn frustrating
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
AS_1
Occasional Contributor
Do you stil stand that mtx will go back to 400 and even break 500
0 Kudos
annie3
Frequent Contributor
yes good sens out and a lot of big numbers still buying at this price
0 Kudos
fng
Contributor
but copper price is gown down?
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Does "manipulation" only work on the downside? If the shareprice happens to increase what is that then called? Just asking so that I know as well...next time...wouldn't want to be accused of that!!
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Just goes to show this is still a primary bear market. MTX been holding steady fro the past few days. Looking at exiting my position hoprfully at break even.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Sarky bugger :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_manipulation
"a deliberate attempt to interfere with the free and fair operation of the market and create artificial, false or misleading appearances with respect to the price of, or market for, a security, commodity or currency"

I fully understand that shifting the price up or down, or putting a ceiling or floor there, are largely accepted and a risk of the market. But what those people are doing is trading not to own the security, but to manipulate it. Some people who do that go to jail. It's just lucky that when it's small-time, it's overlooked.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
And here's another technique: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/paintingthetape.asp

"An illegal action by a group of market manipulators buying and/or selling a security among themselves to create artificial trading activity, which, when reported on the ticker tape, lures in unsuspecting investors as they perceive an unusual volume."

So that action is aimed at volume, but similarly hitting a price repeatedly with tiny orders is manipulative. It's probably hard to prove, but I'd be surprised if you thought it was something else.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Hey HateGauteng - what is it that you do - I see on another thread that you list, Science, Environmental, data as a job - do you do anything with GIS?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi Blik, what's your interest in GIS?
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Yep, also a GIS person. Largely at a strategic level though not too involved in day to day technical activities.
0 Kudos
theyoungster
Super Contributor
those ***** manipulated the price up at the end of the day LOL heehee
0 Kudos