Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

minimum amount for trading

TonyM
Occasional Contributor
hi everyone!! I would like to start trading, and i am currently still studying and working parttime aged 23 years, i want anybody to share with me how they started and what is the minimum amount that you can start to trade with?
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
asylum
Super Contributor
Hi welcome Tonym you can start with basically any amount but remember that you have to pay brokerage fees off 0.7 % for every trade plus strate and other things which makes every trade close to a 1% brokerage fee, thats for shares only. If you trade warrants it is cheaper.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Your first point of reference is to 1. Ask as many questions to the guys on the chatroom. 2. On you left hand side the is a place for share code e.g if you want to trade Angloplat ,type in AMS and highlight the trade icon. 3. Understand what is meant Ruling price, buy,sell , high , low 4. Understand how the brokerage fee works for buy and selling 5. Understand what is your break even value of the shares This will prove quiet entertaining for now. Also if you have question ....refre to wilkpeidia.com Enjoy
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Dear TonyM : Welcome to the Piranha Pool.I entered unblemished and golden, a few years ago.Now,I'm all Scars and stuff(but survived the Learning Curve.) Key:study POINT AND FIGURE,before you study anything else.It is the Holy Grail of Trading...## Google search "Point Figure University"...all there for you.Go well.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
You can start by putting R200 a month into STX40 using SFM's monthly payment scheme. Over time, probably going to make you more money than trading. Most traders either lose or don't beat the index. If you want to start trading shares (where I think everyone should start), you need at least R10k per trade to ensure that the trading fees don't form too high a percentage of your trade. To trade warrants you need less money and your fees are lower, but your chance of successful trades is probably much lower than if you simply bought shares. Not sure what you need as a reasonable minimum for ALSI - but the swings are hectic. At R10/pt, you can move your capital R7000 +or- in a day easily. I figure R50k+ is minimum capital. Don't start under-capitalised... Simon has a great analogy - it's like flying very close to the tree-tops. You can do it, but one mistake or a gust of wind and you're grounded
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Tony ; And what whatever you do....Don't ask "Babyboy" if his nappies is wet.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The more you put in, the easier it will be to pass the spread and fees. Trade R10,000 and you only need make 1.7% to pass what you spent on fees, Trade R1,000 and you need to make 17% just to break even!
0 Kudos
TonyM
Occasional Contributor
hey asylum!! can you put figures in those fees, its just that i am currently having a investment plan with satrix, i want to if for a similar amount(R300/R1000), can i trade
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
This is the last time i am giving TonyM advice. He directed his question to only one person. He must be a UCT student
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
Put in share code you are looking for in the quick share block top of page left hand side click on trade, now put in the amount of shares you want to buy and it will show you exactly how much you will pay for your brokerage fees all broken down with the vat, strate and all the nice charges we pay for.Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Hi, I feel TonyM cannot read....Ask him to look at my very first advice........
0 Kudos
TonyM
Occasional Contributor
thanks, it gives me a little light?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
auto share invest is a min of R500, but only for SB onlien banking clients. Satrix is R300 per month or R1k lump. On OST no min, but R10k is when cost effeciencies kicks in.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi, I have been trading for a year now and started with only R2000. Subscribe to Red Hot Penny Shares. www.fsp.co.za. Start off by buying penny shares. You can make good returns with a little bit of money. My net return for the year = 91.8%.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
becareful of cheap warrants, you could lose everything ....
0 Kudos