Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

mooi river index updated ..

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
stores
Super Contributor
Simon..A very interesting index. I do the N3 trip about 6-8 times a year. Drove down yesterday and could not believe the number of trucks on the road. I would bet my house that September will also be a new record.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
This is brilliant. I was wondering if such a thing existed cos I also noted the large increase in commercial vehicles on the N3. Surely there is some correlation between this index and the ALSI with some lag, or perhaps moreso with a particular sector/group of sectors? Or is this already priced into companies financials in the form of increased sales/buildup of inventories? But what is strange is that if more goods than in the past 4 years are being moved / purchased now, then why is consumer sentiment percieved as so low?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
surely it feeds into the big picture, which is economic recovery and unlikely double dip ??? and yes that is in the ALSI, but likley to already be priced in to some or other degree .. I like it as a supporting data point ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
without looking at the index my guess is the strikes are the cause..not economic recovery
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nah, coz the last three months all been moving higher .. an AUG was a record ..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Something doesn't add up. We are in recovery, we acknowledge that, but why: Are there almost no jobs added to the economy ? Has the Reserve Bank cut interest rates ? Are inflation in check ? Are 8000 people per month applying for debt restructuring ? What I would like to know is: How many of these trucks actually travel over our borders to and from the rest of Africa ? How many of these trucks are based on imports, and how many are based on exports ? How many of these truck are the result of Transnet's lack of capacity and infrastructure spend ? My picture needs more colour, because that type of growth in transport is not reflected in the econmy yet.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure in part transnet .. but have they suddenly got that much worse in the last 3 months ?? and we can see recovery all around .. GDP, PSCE, PMI, etc .. maybe the issue is your bias ???
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Me thinks its time to investigate:
1 - Insurance shares, more trucks, more idiots doing more stupid driving, like trucks overtaking on single lanes in middel of night (or day) and to hell with the cars, more accidents...
2 tar and asphalt suppliers, more trucks,more load on roads, more potholes, more repairs,
3 Fuel and energy sector, more trucks, more cops (hopefully) more manned staff at toll roads, more to and from,
4 Emergency response and hospital shares, see point 1 above.....
0 Kudos
Spoegs
Contributor
I'd suggest that you need to discount the Mooi River index by the state of Spoornet, they're still trying to catch up with the strike from earlier in the year. Some okes can't afford to wait for Spoornet to catch up and I'm pretty sure that's pushed the truck figures up to a certain extent.
0 Kudos