Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

more mine trouble ?

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
08:17 18Mar08 RTRS-SAFRICA'S ESKOM [ESCJ.UL] SAYS MAY HAVE TO INFORM MINES, BIG CUSTOMERS OF FORCE MAJEURE IF MORE GENERATORS TRIP 08:26 18Mar08 RTRS-S.Africa's Eskom says force majeure possible

JOHANNESBURG, March 18 (Reuters) - South Africa's electricity utility Eskom [ESCJ.UL] said on Tuesday it may have to inform mines of a force majeure if more of its generators trip, Eskom spokesman Andrew Etzinger told Johannesburg's Talk Radio 702.

"There is a concern that if we see additional trips we will once again have an unstable grid and we will have to inform the mines and other major industrial customers of a force majeure situation," he said.
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Not applicable
So I'm a dumb ignoramus, but what is a Force Majeur?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
A force that cannot be controlled by the parties to a contract and prevents said parties from complying with the provisions of the contract,
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
What's an unstable grid?.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks, Simon. What is the point of it - to protect Eskom from legal action from the mines?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, it is a legal loop hole out of a contract (usually until the issue is resolved then the loop hole closes). Of course in this case the cause of the problem is lack of power, and that's Eskom's fault ? So not really sure how they can claim Force Majeur ?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I was thinking the same - Eskom shouldn't be able to claim that faulty generators aren't under their control. That's just silly. Thanks for the info.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
For the last 12 years those who have taken over the previous government have been resting and enjoying the forward infrastructure planning of the previous administration. They just assumed that this wonderful state of utopia would continue indefinitely. The ANC's government's inability to do forward planning is really quite disgraceful.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Right!Surely the mines are only using generators because Eskom breached their contract in the first place? These Eskom spin doctors won't pull the wool over our eyes.We're too smart for that.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
russ, the eskom generators, not the mines.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'm lost again - whose generators are tripping, the mines or Eskom's?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Already answered by Simon, thanks
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
I don't know either,Jez. This is a major farce.
0 Kudos
Ditzy
Frequent Contributor
no, it's a major force.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
14:16 18Mar08 RTRS-UPDATE 4-Threat recedes of power cut to S.Africa's mines

JOHANNESBURG, March 18 (Reuters) - The threat of a power cut to South Africa's vital gold and platinum mines receded on Tuesday when the state electricity firm Eskom repaired two generators.
0 Kudos
yrg
Frequent Contributor
It was not only the ANC who decided to privatise Eskom, thereby not allocating the needed funding. Other political parties also agreed by voting that the best way forward would be to privatise Eskom. Unfortunately no private company would want to buy a utility that sells electricity at one of the cheapest rates in the world. Ironically some of the politicians who are now pointing fingers at the ANC were the ones sitting there voting for Eskom privatisation and decreased funding.
0 Kudos